After installing, I ended up with an error message that read "Unable to start the (Symantec) Integrator. Please reboot and try again. If this fails, please contact technical support."
I also get this message at startup (from Norton Antivirus)
Malicious script detected. Your computer is halted and needs to do something about this script. Object: Windows Script Host Shell Object. Activity: Run File: C:\Program Files\Suppo...\server.vbs
I contacted them and so far, everything they've suggested hasn't worked.
Here's what they've had me do so far:
1. Manually add the items below to the registry
Told to select start, run, and type the following
REGSVR32 "C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAVUI.DLL" and....
REGSVR32 "C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\NISPLUG.DLL"
...this didn't work...
2. Uninstall Norton Internet Security...Remove leftover installation files and registry entries
-Used nis2005xp_reg_removal.reg (from Symantec support site).
-Reinstalled Windows Script 5.6.
-Unistalled Norton Antivirus using the rnav2003.exe removal utility.
-Deleted Norton folders.
-Reintalled using selective startup
....this didn't work either.
3. Uninstall Norton Internet security, Live Reg and Live update. Download and use Microsoft Windows Installer Clean up Utility. Delete all temp files. Reintalled using selective startup
4. Uninstall everything Norton: Norton Utilities 2002, Norton Internet Security 2005, Live Reg, Live Update. Repeat clean up steps in #2 and #3 above. Reinstall everything in selective start up. Run Live update until it shows no more updates are available.
...STILL didn't work.
ADDITIONALLY: When running the full system scan in Norton Antivirus, I get an error message telling me that "Norton was unable to scan your computer for infections because Norton Antivirus components are missing."
5. Now, Symantec's online help wants me to reinstall Internet Explorer and then reinstall Windows Script host.
-I'm very nervous at this step...I'm worried that I'll majorly mess something up.
The message from Symantec sends me to a microsoft help page (article #318378). I ran sfc /scannow and it told me that files required for Windows to run properly were missing and replaced by unrecognized versions. It asks me for the XP CD...but it came preinstalled on my Sony Viao.
Please help....I'm not sure what to do that this point and I'm extremely frustrated.