Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Internet Security 2005 Problems

• Please log in to reply

himaggie

himaggie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: I purchased Norton Internet Security 2005 as an upgrade to my existing Norton Personal Firewall 2003 and Norton Antivirus 2003 - both of which were up for renewal.

After installing, I ended up with an error message that read "Unable to start the (Symantec) Integrator. Please reboot and try again. If this fails, please contact technical support."

I also get this message at startup (from Norton Antivirus)
Malicious script detected. Your computer is halted and needs to do something about this script. Object: Windows Script Host Shell Object. Activity: Run File: C:\Program Files\Suppo...\server.vbs

I contacted them and so far, everything they've suggested hasn't worked.

Here's what they've had me do so far:

1. Manually add the items below to the registry
Told to select start, run, and type the following
REGSVR32 "C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAVUI.DLL" and....
REGSVR32 "C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\NISPLUG.DLL"
...this didn't work...

2. Uninstall Norton Internet Security...Remove leftover installation files and registry entries
-Used nis2005xp_reg_removal.reg (from Symantec support site).
-Reinstalled Windows Script 5.6.
-Unistalled Norton Antivirus using the rnav2003.exe removal utility.
-Deleted Norton folders.
-Reintalled using selective startup
....this didn't work either.

3. Uninstall Norton Internet security, Live Reg and Live update. Download and use Microsoft Windows Installer Clean up Utility. Delete all temp files. Reintalled using selective startup
...Didn't work

4. Uninstall everything Norton: Norton Utilities 2002, Norton Internet Security 2005, Live Reg, Live Update. Repeat clean up steps in #2 and #3 above. Reinstall everything in selective start up. Run Live update until it shows no more updates are available.
...STILL didn't work.

ADDITIONALLY: When running the full system scan in Norton Antivirus, I get an error message telling me that "Norton was unable to scan your computer for infections because Norton Antivirus components are missing."

5. Now, Symantec's online help wants me to reinstall Internet Explorer and then reinstall Windows Script host.
-I'm very nervous at this step...I'm worried that I'll majorly mess something up.

The message from Symantec sends me to a microsoft help page (article #318378). I ran sfc /scannow and it told me that files required for Windows to run properly were missing and replaced by unrecognized versions. It asks me for the XP CD...but it came preinstalled on my Sony Viao.

;) Please help....I'm not sure what to do that this point and I'm extremely frustrated.

Advertisements

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
You really need the CD. :tazz:

harojean

harojean

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
How do I fix a corrupt $Mft file?

himaggie

himaggie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
How do I get the CD? Windows XP came preloaded on my Sony Viao.
The computer came with System recovery and Application recovery CDs, but when I put those in I get an error message telling me I inserted the wrong CD.

If I try running the system restore CD, will I lose the programs I've loaded since I bought the computer and all my files?

sadie10023

sadie10023

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yikes - I am also trying to load a renewal (from N I Security 2003 to 2005) and a new purchase (the second in a week (driven to buy both a renewal and a whole new package to just try to get it to work).

I get same error message - did you ever solve your issues. I am about to insert my XP disc which I have.

I have bee trying this for a week and am really PO'd.

Any resolutions on your end?

Thanks in advance.