Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not access anything on Desktop [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Juliogeordieo

Juliogeordieo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am attempting to fix my computer at home and really struggling massively! I have a very basic knowledge of computers so apologies if I am asking a really simple question!

When I turn on my computer everything starts up but my desktop freezes and I cannot open up any programmes. When I attempt to access the start button my cursor simpy shows the busy egg timer cursor.

I can access safe mode etc but cannot access the net.

I have no idea where to start so any help would be more than appreciated.

:tazz:

Advertisements

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,019 posts
Hi and welcome to GeeksToGo! My name is Sam and I will be helping you. :tazz:

This is not much information to go on, but we'll give a go and see what can be done.

First let's see if we can restore your computer to an earlier time when things worked a little bit better.

Reboot into Safe mode.
Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.
Select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click Next.
Now you will see a calendar. Any date in bold contains a restore point. Select one when your computer would boot up normally and click Next.
Click Next again to begin the restore process.

Sometimes you get a message after rebooting that the restore could not be completed. Don't get too frustrated by this, just run through the process again and try another date.

Even if you are able to restore successfully we will likely still have some problems to deal with. Let me know how it goes.

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,019 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.