Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows progs down

• Please log in to reply

hunitasi

hunitasi

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

I just went thru some serious virus cleaning, the virus is gone but also my IE, Windows Media, search, system restore etc. All other programs run fine, there's internet connection, all other progs can do their updates. BUT IE shuts down 1-2 sec. after it starts to load, the other progs that I mentioned simply won't start up.
How can I fix this? Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, reboot when the bar goes

Go to Microsoft Update

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

hunitasi

hunitasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It doesn't work. tried 3 times, nothing changes. I'm trying to repair XP with the reinstall CD but it keeps shutting down at the "Installing devices" then set up restarts and it keeps repeating .

hunitasi

hunitasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I also get this

Error: The D:\I386\NT5INF.CAT catalog file could not be found. Error code !, fatal error

hunitasi

hunitasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
And it now turned bad to WORSE. I got to the point where I wanted to just re -install the OS. New thing: after the initial loading when the window comes up "install", "repair" or "quit" when I hit enter it says it can't find a hard drive. I ran all the possible diagnostics -checked out OK, i reset the PC to factory default and still no hard drive. Please help.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Where abouts did you get your copy of Windows XP?

hunitasi

hunitasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Dell re-install CD that has been used before when I got my hard drive...

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Thank you for getting back to me. If none of the above work then please do try THIS.

Why am I suggesting this? Just incase you might have things still on your computer.

If nothing else works then you MIGHT have to re-do (re-install) your OS.

hunitasi

hunitasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Tony, well things got alittle bit worse than that now, it seems that it's ahardware failure:
http://www.geekstogo...topic=60152&hl=

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Thats not good,

lets try and get the fixed :tazz:.

Have you ever partitioned your hard drive at any stage and un-did the partition?

hunitasi

hunitasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
No. I don't think so.