Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIRELESS THEFT

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I am working on a paper, for school and I am needing a few "CLEAN" user quotes on the following subject: I am already aware of the current State Penal Codes and Federal Laws regarding this subject.

Scenario 1
I am sitting in the comfort of my own home and with my laptop I am able to detect a UNSECURED wireless broadcast (no wep, wpa - radius, mac filters of any sort). If I connect to this broadcast for internet access only (not to file or print share with the broadcaster) is this ???

Theft of service from the Broadcaster
OR
Just simply connecting to a service that is being broadcasted within the confines of my own residence
OR
any other opinion you may have on this...

Scenario 2
I am sitting in the comfort of my own home and with my laptop I am able to detect a SECURED wireless broadcast. If I connect to this broadcast through use of alternative methods for gaining internet access only... is this ????

Theft of service from the Broadcaster
OR
Just simply connecting to a service that is being broadcasted within the confines of my own residence
OR
any other opinion you may have on this...

AGAIN, I do not do this and I am not trying to promote any of these activities... I am a paying customer for my premium High Speed internet service. This is research for a school paper (Oklahoma State University).

~Kat~ has already approved this post in the Geek University area for helpers, and staff members... I misposted it in the public area before... my mistake.

Your replies are appreciated.

Advertisements

Danny

Danny

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
Hi,

Senario 1

I believe it is all right to connect to the network, because if the person whose network it was, should have some brains to make it secure if they didn't want people to login to it.

Senario 2

By "cracking" into the secure network, this is technically stealing the network, because the person didn't want you to use it.

dk

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
scenario 1: by legal standards, walking through an ulocked door is still concidered breaking and entering. though, it's the homeowner's fault for not locking the door

scenario 2: breaking the door is definitly breaking and entering

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Thanks you both for your replies.. need 3 more.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to Networking Forum.

Cough

Cough

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm with dsenet.

Scenario 1 is arguably a little grey - obviously the broadcaster doesnt care that he is sharing the access, but he actually is contravening his agreement with his ISP (probably, depending on ISP small print). Since I dont know what the ISP agreement says, I may not be breaking any laws if I join in.

Scenario 2 is definitely an attempt to unlock a door that is intended to be protected. If I get in, I know that I am breaking some sort of law.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
Scenario 1- If a person isnt protecting themselves which takes all of ten minutes, if that, then maybe a break in or two is deserved to teach them a lesson.

Scenario 2- More fun for hackers but definately not legal.

Lion

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Walking in through an unlocked door in considered trespassing, not breaking and entering. Is it stealing if somebody is broadcasting a signal into your home? Perhaps the person who is broadcasting their signal through my walls into my home without my permission should be considered the tresspasser.

Edited by todd333, 01 September 2005 - 11:28 AM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
AGAIN.. Thank you all.