Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DHCP Conflicts ... still no network connection

• Please log in to reply

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have the cable in the Ethernet jack in the back of my computer and the other end plugged directly into the ADSL Router (it's not wireless)...I downloaded the CD from the 3Com site and have installed the software ... I just can't get them to "talk" ....

I just got a message in the autoconfig window of the 3Com software.

It says that it can't connect and among other things that I execute ... "ipconfig.exe/renew" (From DOS) ... does the ".exe" affect whether or not it works....?

Advertisements

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
What is the Network Connection "1394" that's in the LAN or High Speed Internet Connection" section? ... Could something in the TCP/IP Protocol settings there be causing these problems?

Is there any way to uninstall "EVERYTHING" and have it all new and working like it did "way back when"..... ???? (without reformatting, of course...)

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Now I'm getting despairate ....

Still no connection ... and even more confused than before.

Whe I try to use the crossover cable to config the ADSL connection, the green light doesn't even light up on my Ethernet port... when I use the network cable it does, but I have no success ...

Is there any way to RESET ALL and start over? I have no idea of what my next move is.... Should I go down to the local Starbucks and try to log onto their free Wi-Fi network hotspot? ...

I don't know what more to try .... :-{

Edited by MooreCandy, 02 September 2005 - 07:59 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm gonna see if i can get some extra eyeballs in here. sit tight

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
...ok ... but the thing is, I'm back at the office without my laptop... my back was getting tired from so much "back and forth" ... I don't know if we can make much progress without it here ... but then again ... any progress is more than where I've gotten so far....

I gotta step out for a while, but maybe when I come back there'll be the "panacea" posting here that I've been waiting for ... I'll keep my fingers crossed....

Thanks again for your patience and time.

Edited by MooreCandy, 02 September 2005 - 08:06 AM.

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
is your router configured with dhcp enabled?

Edited by todd333, 02 September 2005 - 09:17 AM.

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Your problem is a little unclear, your trying to enable dhcp on your ethernet, is your dsl connection going into your router , there should be an uplink or WAN port, then you should be able to use a striaght through cable to connect to your router, just plug it in, if you know the ip of your router that will be your gateway, configure your router use dhcp. Try openeing a web browser and putting http://ip of your router.

you can tell if your using a crossover cable or straight through by comparing the ends of the cable, hold them both facing the same direction, you can see the colored wires inside if they are in the same order its a straight through, if they are in opposite order its a crossover cable, crossover cables are used to directly connect 2 pc's or 2 hubs. a straight through cable should be used to connect a pc to a router or hub

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If we could back up....

Wireless aside (you can be getting an ip address form a wireless router owned by your neighbor if said neighbor is not setting up his router correctly).

But, back to wired connection.

Your ISP is, who?

You are hooking your computer up like this

phone line --> dsl modem -- cat5 cable (not crossover) --> PC?

(a crossover cable is used for connecting LIKE machines. PC-PC, router-router, switch-switch using special ports, so you do not want a crossover cable)

you previously had

phone line --> dsl modem -- cat5 cable --> wireless router {air} PC?

Who set this up for you? Some providers do grant your IP address based on your MAC address, a hardware encoded 48-bit address that is unique to the netowrk device.

Had you previously had another PC? It is possible that your ISP requires MAC Address for validation, and that MAC address on the previous PC was cloned to the old wireless router, so it could obtain an ip address for you...your new PC has a different mac address so it would not work.

The IP Address you provided earlier (for wired card) is one Windows creates on the fly if it cannot find a DHCP server--this is called automatic ip configuration.

So, your PC is not connecting to the dhcp server. It will give you the message you got,

in the ipconfig dialog window it comes back as "DHCP enabled ......... no"

not because your PC is set up to NOT USE DHCP (which yours is), but because it DID NOT USE dhcp (since it could not find a dhcp server). So that is normal.

We need to focus on why it is not getting DHCP. The first test should be connecting this PC to another network and seeing if you can get an ip address

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Let me try to clarify everthing:

(first and foremost, all this computer stuff is making my brain throb, so hang with me if I start to stray ... it's all kinda like jibberish to me ... but I'm trying my best ... and I am EVER SO GRATEFUL for all of your help.... EVERYONE!)

Before (months ago) I was working with a wireless Zyxel ADSL Router that worked perfectly with my laptop ... until our building was struck by lightening and I lost my router. My neighbor had an open network (I'm in Spain and it's legal... if there are any doubts) that I quickly connected to with my Wireless Network Connection and worked on for approx 2 months.

I went on vacation for two weeks (with my machine which my 12month baby loves to play "keyboard" on ...) and when we got back home and started up the computer, the Wireless Connection re-established with the same "buena" (good) signal, however when I launched Internet Explorer I got that white page that says ... cannot connect ... or whatever. I noticed on the status window of the connection that the "packets sent" are flowing, but the "packets recieved" are minimal ....

After a day or so of trying, a friend loaned me an ADSL (wired) Router that he is no longer using ... so, at the office where I have a connection, I downloaded the Installation CD from 3Com for the 812 Office Remote ADSL Router and after following the instructions for installing the router on my LAN (Local Area Network... right?) via a regular "network cable" I still reach a point where the installation program "times out" while trying to assign an IP to my machine (?). I have the TCP/IP protocol on the LAN properties set to Assign Automatically ... DNS also .... but still no luck.

I've turned off the Windows Firewall as well as my Norton Internet Security ... but still nothing ...

So. I called "Telefonica" customer support ...they're my ISP. They said that my line is good, but it appears that there is no Router attached ... I guess they try to detect a device from their end ... but said that no signal was detected (or that they don't see the router ... or someting like that). I keep getting an 169.IP assigned to the machine each time the installation program, the ipconfig in DOS, or the XP Network Diagnostics Tool is run ... Which I have learned means that there is a "communication breakdown" ...

The people at "Telefonica" told me that in order to configure the ROUTER so that my machine can "recognize" it, I would need the "CONSOLE CABLE" and not just the ethernet cable. I don't have it, nor does my friend, and they told me that since 3COM doesn't manufacture it any more, the cable could be hard to come by ...

So. In a nutshell, that's about it.

I've decided that the neighbor's network is a secondary issue for me. Right now I'm paying 30€/month for my own ADSL service that I can't use. (Regardless of the fact that he hasn't changed the Security Enabling on his Wireless Router .... and I think it should work just like it did pre-vacations) ... What I want to do now is get my 3COM ADSL Router to work on my line in my house for my computer ... and I can't seem to do it.

I'm set up like this:

phone line --> dsl modem -- network cable --> PC (same Laptop as before)

My previous setup was done by me with an "ADSL Wireless Connection Kit" that came with a CD and all to configure the Router, then bring me through an internet connection with Telefonica to set up my configuration (I think) ... I have found a note I jotted down on the box to the "fried" Router (from when I installed it) that has a "PrivateIP Address : 192.168...etc..." I'm not sure if this has any importance at this stage of the game.

What I don't understand is this:
What are the steps?
Does the computer "talk" to the router to obtain the computer's identity (IP), then the router opens it's connection to the internet .... or what? .... Should everthing be much more transparent than it's has become? Am I missing something very easy here?

Hope that helps to clarify what is very unclear to me.

Thanks again (in advance).

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
...Monday ...

I've downloaded a router config software from my ISP (routercf.exe) that will hopefully get me started with straightening out this whole mess...

In the meantime I'm trying to download an "ADSL Agent" from my ISP to configure my modem and to control the ADSL connection ....

So ... any other advise in the meantime will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Advertisements

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
So now ... here we are ... Tuesday and still no internet access.

When I click "repair" on my LAN Ethernet Connection it times out when it tries to renew IP address.

When I run my XP Network Connection Diagnostics, it times out and when pinging my IP ...

When I run (in DOS) ipconfig/release ... ipconfig/renew it times out and gives me back a IP starting with 169.

When I tried to configure my 3Com Office Connect Remote ADSL Router it tells me that there is no communication with the router ... that I need a "Console Cable" ....

When I Uninstall my Realtek Ethernet Network Card and let XP re-install upon restarting the machine ... it tries to establish the connection then tells me that the connection is "null" and to contact network administrator.

:tazz: ..................

How do I configure my 3Com Office Connect Remote ADSL Router ?

What is the correct order of things I have to do?

How can I get out of this endless labyrinth??.... :)

I'm thinking of taking my laptop to a friends house tonight to plug into his ADSL Router and see if it works .... should it?

Is it normal that my Dial-up connection works but neither the LAN Ethernet ADSL High-Speed Internet nor the Wireless High-Speed Internet Connection do not?

Should I plug into my offices Windows Small Business Server network to see if my Ethernet card is not working ... or am I trying too hard for something more simple?

...... :)

The guy that works on computers around the corner from my house said that I should be able to configure the Router with just a network cable ... and that having entered the "puerta de enlace" (could be link port or Gateway in english?? .... http://es.wikipedia....erta_de_enlace) there should be no problem having the PC and router communicate .... HOW DO I DO THAT??!!

Edited by MooreCandy, 06 September 2005 - 08:34 AM.

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
ok first of all Is your phone/DSL line plugged in to the correct port on your router?, it should say WAN or UPLINK? Make sure your NOT using crossover cables ,crossover cables are to connect things that are alike such as computer to computer, or hub to hub. is the led light on the router lit up where you plugged in? can you ping the router? do you know the router's ip if so open a command prompt and type ping 169.154.0.1 or whatever the ip of your router is
is there a "console" port on the back of your router, if so you have to plug into that port to configure

Edited by todd333, 06 September 2005 - 09:08 AM.

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
The DSL line comes out of my wall in my house and goes into the only "jack" or port in the router where it fits ... the other 4 ports are "out-ports" to the machines ...

I'm using a regular J45-J45 (I think that's what they called it ...off the top of my head) ... Regular ethernet network cable that works on the network at my office, not the red crossover cable. The cable comes out of my Router and goes into the only plug/port where it fits ... the LAN/Ethernet port ... the lights that should light up on the Router all light up ... the light next to the port on my laptop ethernet port (green) lights up when I plug the cable in from the Router ... I don't know the router's IP ... but judging from the literature I've gathered from 3Com it looks like it could be 192.168.200.254 (I doubt I can ping it ... but I'm at the office right now... without my laptop...whoops...) There is a 9-pin (female) "console" port on the back of the Router ... but I don't have the cable ... I have a "team of investigators" searching for one for me...

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
its possible you can configure it by putting the ip address in your we browser, like so:

"http://192.168.0.1"

this 3com link might help

http://www.portforwa.../3c855-dhcp.htm

if you dont know the admin passords this might help,

http://www.governmen...rkedDevices.php

Edited by todd333, 06 September 2005 - 09:44 AM.

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Will this 3com link help even though it's for a "Setting up a Static IP with a 3com 3c855" and my model is the "Office Connect Remote 812"?