Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DHCP Conflicts ... still no network connection

• Please log in to reply

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
sorry, heres a good link it provides step by step instructions:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/4738

The confifguration probably isnt what your tying to do but you can get an idea of how to configure with your web browser use the ip http://192.168.254.254

Edited by todd333, 06 September 2005 - 10:03 AM.

Advertisements

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I'll be right back ...

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
heres another link

http://support.3com....p_filtering.pdf

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
So... I'll try this ... But...

Riddle me this:

If I enter the IP of the Router in the Web Browser and nothing happens, I can deduce that there is problem with the LAN Connection ... which could be:

1. Software
2. Hardware

Right?

Could you give some recommendations as to what I should try if my Web Browser access to the Router fails? ...

Keeping in mind that I've check my Device Manager and there are no apparent problems with the hardware. I've even uninstalled and allowed Windows XP to reinstall the hardware. I've tried a DOS ipconfig/release (which gives me back all zero's .... good) and the ipconfig/renew (which times out with the 169.IP response)

I don't want to be a pessimist, just hoping to have more options if the ones you've already (AND VERY HELP-FULLY) provided me with fail.....

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
The link you gave me:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/4738

Looks promising ... (sounds like my case, with a different ISP)
He states that (In References 1. of this post) that he has a "separate post with the 3Com 812 set up with basic configuration in a step-by-step procedure" in a separate post .... I can't seem to access it ... can you send me that link too? (thanks)

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
well, first of all, is the router new or did you get it from somebody? because if somebody else used it then the ip address or the admin password might not be the default ,in which case you would have to reset the router to the factory defaults.

If you have an ethernet cable directly connected to the router from your computer and you cannot connect with your browser then you should check:

the cable your using: could be bad, or it could be a crossover cable, try a different one
That port on the router may be bad: try a different port, make sure the led light is on

the ipconfig/release /renew command will only work if DHCP is enabled on your router so make sure to enable dhcp, and in the tcp/ip properties of your network card make sure to set the ip address to assigned by dhcp, and the gateway is the ip address of your router, make sure the subnet mask is correct also ,default should be either 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0

p.s. just because the ethernet cable your using is not red, does not mean its not a crossover cable, if your using a crossover cable it wont work.

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
It's a used router ... that I've "reset" by pressing the reset button for 5 seconds while connecting the power ... allowing it to flash and all that jazz 'til it looks like it's working ... the ADSL light turns green. The power light turns green, the warning light stops flashing and the port LAN light I'm plugged into turns green too!

I'm sure the cable is not crossover.
The lights all light up ... on the router and the network card port of my pc.
I've tried all 4 of the ports on the router.

I'll try all the stuff you sent me ... can you look at my last post and see if you can send me a link from the "http://www.dslreport...s.com/faq/4738" guy?

Thanks

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Here is the manual for this router, provides setup instructions in detail

http://www.uk-bug.ne...it-lid-192.html

pg 41 describes how to setup dhcp

Edited by todd333, 06 September 2005 - 11:22 AM.

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
"www.dslreports.com" is offline right now .... bummer. So I can't access the post by RadioDoc for the step-by-step ...

However, I understand that all of this is going to happen by accessing my ROUTER via the Web Browser ... by entering the Router's IP ....

Right?

Wish me luck... and thanks SO MUCH!

(I'll let you know tomorrow)

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
good luck, get the manual i sent the link in the last post, its a pdf file

Advertisements

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
ZIP....ZERO....NADA....NOTHING!!! :tazz:

Can't connect to the Router from the Web Browser either.
The icon in the bottom right of my screen for the LAN has a yellow triangle with an exclaimation point in it ...
Every time I try to "repair" the connection I get the "cannot renew IP" "Connection limited or null" ...

Hopefully today I'll get my hands on the "Console Cable" from 3Com and that will help ....

Should I take the machine to my friend's house and plug into his router to see if it works?

:)

...... On the verge ......

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
moorecandy, do you have a crossover cable from your adsl modem to the router? if memory serves me correctly (which on occasion it does) you need to have the crossover there..(though....this would only fix h alf of a problem because you should be able to get to the router's interface without the router actually being able to connect to the internet)

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
The adsl modem/router are a "all in one" piece of hardware (.... I thought) .... It's this http://www.3com.com/...ort&sku=3CP4144 ....
In the "Printable Product Details" of this link (right of the picture) I scrolled down to read that a requirement is a "10BASE-T network interface card " ... I assume that this is a standard like my Realtek Fast Ethernet NIC ... hmmm

So there are only the following cables:

Telephone ---> Router ---> Ethernet Cable to Ethernet Jack in PC

HOWEVER... I went down to the PC supply store to see if they knew what the "Console Cable" was for the 3Com 812 (Which is apparently a very STANDARD and widely used ADSL Router around here) ... and the guy said:

"You need a 9-pin crossed cable" to configure the router ... ( "un cable de 9-pin cruzado" is what he really said, but I've translated it to what I assume it should be in english)

So. I hope with that I'll be able to access the router from the PC. Otherwise I'm only 56k Dial-up!

****Question: If I swing by my buddy's place tonight and plug my laptop into his ADSL Router ... should it work automatically ... or am I getting into a deeper mess by trying that ... I've got the machine with me today, and was even considering connecting to the office network (Running Windows 2003 Small Business Server) ... but I'm not sure what good any of that might serve .... comments?....anyone?

P.S. on the post: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/4738 in the line "References 1." John Talyor (the person who submitted this post) states that: "If you do not yet have your 3Com 812 set up with a basic configuration, I have provided a step-by-step procedure for that process as a separate post." .... I CAN'T FIND THAT POST .. Can anyone help me find that too? ...

Edited by MooreCandy, 07 September 2005 - 07:51 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hooking it to the business network, or your friend's machine won't really help...the 9 pin connector with the handy dandy rollover cable will definitely allow you to connect to that router for configuration, if it's the calbe that i assume it is then both ends looks like an rj45 connector but one end plugs into a little converter that hooks to your com port...allowing you to use hperterminal to hit the routers operating system

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I don't think it's what you're thinking when you say:

"if it's the cable that i assume it is then both ends looks like an rj45 connector but one end plugs into a little converter that hooks to your com port"

.... being that the port marked "console" on the back of the router is a 9-pin female port (a line of 5 holes over a line of 4 holes like what my old printer on my old machine used to use.... kind of ...) and the other end plugs into a parallel port on my PC ... I assume ....