Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound and printer problem?

• Please log in to reply

HeadHurts

HeadHurts

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Until last week, my sound was working fine. I controlled the volume by pressing the - or + button on my keyboard. The volume level showed on my screen with the yellow bars going up or down when I pressed these keys. Now when I press them, nothing is displayed and there is no sound.

I have checked the connections and they appear to hooked up correctly since I haven't changed anything recently.

The second problem happens with my printer when I am printing . It doesn't seem to matter if I am printing a document from a word processing program or if I am printing something from Explorer. I can print a document fine, but then when I try to continue using Explor and click on the back button, click on a new link or type in a new web site, Explore stops working and it won'tlet me go back to letting me continue to surf. If I have printed a word processing document and try to get into Explorer after that, nothing happens. I have to reboot my sysem after I print anything to be able to get back into my internet connection.

I did have some viruses and had them recently cleaned from my system. The sound problem is new but the printer problem has been going on for a while and now that my sound isn't working, I think I may still have Gremlins hiding somewhere....

I have a hpdeskjet 940c.
I don't seem to have any of the original disks to reinstall anything that way.

Be gentle! I have the least amount of experience with hardware componemnts and I am just not sure how to even get statrted. any assistance you could provide wouild be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

HeadHurts

HeadHurts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I had a post for malware last week. I followed and downloaded all the recommended steps that you are referring to. Based on my last HJT report on 8/29 that my computer was "clean."

I'm not having any of the "pop up" problems I had before.

Should I still go to the malware forum?

Thanks!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not yet, right click on my computer > manage > device manager. look for any yellow ?

HeadHurts

HeadHurts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
When I right click on "My Computer" I have no option to select that says manage>device manager. (and no yellow)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no manage when you right click my computer?

HeadHurts

HeadHurts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No. I can select:

Open
Explore
Find
Map Network Device
Disconnect Network Device
Create Shortcut
Rename
Properties

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry...didn't see that you're running on 98...give me a sec...in the mean time...open up help and type in device manager...see if it give you a button to open it with

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click my computer then do properties. you should see device manager in there

HeadHurts

HeadHurts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
In My computer and in folder Control Panel, there is an icon called "System"

I click on that and the tabs I can select are:

General
Device Manager
Hardware Profile
Performance

Advertisements

HeadHurts

HeadHurts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes, that is the same thing I got. What next?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you see any yellow question marks or anything inside of the device manager?

HeadHurts

HeadHurts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No. Under the device manaher is listed modem, sound, etc. When I click on Sound I get different types of speakers? No yellow.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....now comes the time to be patient....i'll poke around and see if i can find something that helps

HeadHurts

HeadHurts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
OK. No problem. I'll check back in a while to see if you have added any new posts. Thanks again for your help.