Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I wanna make a small Giga Lan network

• Please log in to reply

sebastian___

sebastian___

• Pip
  • 6 posts
First I have to say that I have no knowledge at all about networking and other special terms. But anyway - I always built my own computers from pieces. At the moment I have 2 PC's directly connected try LAN - One have a 10/100/1000 Giga Lan and the second have only 10/100 card.
As I transfering a lot of files, and frequently between them, I decided to buy another 10/100/1000 Giga card for the second computer.
But the problem is, I'm gonna get a third computer and probably a fourth. So I need to make a small network (maxim 4 computers - but they all need to comunicate NOT by Ethernet 10Mbps or Fast Ethernet 100Mbps , BUT by Gigabit Ethernet: 1000Mbps .

So I think I need to buy for each computer Gigabit Ethernet cards and a Switch ??
I found this product available to a near store : TRENDnet’s TEG-S80TXE Copper Gigabit Ethernet Switch with External Power
Supply consist of eight 10/100/1000Mbps Copper Gigabit Ethernet ports with Autonegotiation
and Auto-MDIX features.
PRICE - aprox 100 $

Is that all I need ? (and cables - of course) . No other special equipment ? Any special software settings in Windows ? I use XP on some PC and Win2000 on others.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
That is all you need. post back if you experience any problems.

sebastian___

sebastian___

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks.