Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hibernation & Defragmentation Problems

• Please log in to reply

totoro1220

totoro1220

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi. I am running Windows XP Pro and when I hibernate my laptop it hibernates. When I pull it out of hibernation, it automatically goes back into hibernation. Don't know why. I have updated all my software, etc... But nothing is working.

My second problem concerns defragmentation. When I defrag my computer I double check that it has been defrag by analyzing it again... However, when I do that the computer always returns with a message you should defrag your C drive. But I have defraged it already.

Please Help!!

Advertisements

Novell

Novell

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hi. I am running Windows XP Pro and when I hibernate my laptop it hibernates. When I pull it out of hibernation, it automatically goes back into hibernation. Don't know why. I have updated all my software, etc... But nothing is working.

My second problem concerns defragmentation. When I defrag my computer I double check that it has been defrag by analyzing it again... However, when I do that the computer always returns with a message you should defrag your C drive. But I have defraged it already.

Please Help!!

View Post

I don't use hibernate because it doesn't really work very well with some manufacturers laptop. As far as your defrag problem, you should do it the other way around. You should run scandisk first, analyze, then defrag. You might want to try a third party defrag program. It will run a lot faster and more efficient than the built-in defrag program.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Please Help!!

View Post

Before I make suggestions, have you found any more abnormal things happening with your computer\hard drive?

Have you had the disk patitioned?

totoro1220

totoro1220

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My laptop came with two separate drives.. a C and a D. Both roughly 20 gigs. Nothing weird is happening besides thsoe two problems. Thanks!

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Try this..... go to:

My computer

Right click on C:\ (or the driver that you have XP installed on), right click and go to properties.

Go to tools, then click on Check now.

Once that has opened, click on Automatically file files system errors and Scan for and attempt recovory of bad sectors.

See if that helps. If so or if not, let us know how it goes.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
<Sorry double up>

Edited by Tony_1983, 01 September 2005 - 11:26 PM.

totoro1220

totoro1220

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I did that and it said, can't access the drive.

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, totoro1220.

Let's try finishing what tony had suggested. When it says it can't access the drive because the contents are locked it will ask you if you want it to scan on reboot. Go ahead and reboot and let it scan. See if you can defragment then.

If that did not resolve it, let's try this.

If your using the built in windows defragger, it's not a very good one. I usually use diskeeper or vopt, if you have a dsl or cable connection I recommend trying diskeeper. Also, how much space is free on your drive, and what is it's total size, please?

totoro1220

totoro1220

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I got that message when I reboot the laptop to scan the c drive.

total size of c drive is 13.9 with 4.03 gigs left and another d drive with 18.2 total size with 16.0 gigs left.

___

Do you know anything about the hibernation problem? As of right now, I have disabled hibernation and just using standby.

Thanks!

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, totoro1220.

Which drive are you having problems with, c, d, or both? If it is the c drive you have a very low amount of space free, probably to be expected with such a small hard drive though. That would quite definitely cause defrag errors, especially with the built in one.

There are several things that can cause hibernation problems, quite usually it's drivers. Did you isntall anything right before you started having this problem? Like a firewall, raid, anti-virus, etc..?

Edited by OwNt, 02 September 2005 - 07:51 PM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Hello, totoro1220.

Let's try finishing what tony had suggested. When it says it can't access the drive because the contents are locked it will ask you if you want it to scan on reboot. Go ahead and reboot and let it scan. See if you can defragment then.

If that did not resolve it, let's try this.

If your using the built in windows defragger, it's not a very good one. I usually use diskeeper or vopt, if you have a dsl or cable connection I recommend trying diskeeper. Also, how much space is free on your drive, and what is it's total size, please?

View Post

Thank you :tazz: I was just comming back to add that. I just remembered that bit as well cause I was going step by step as I was typing it on here.

Then I remembered that I did not add that last bit.

But thank you OwNt :) :)

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

I got that message when I reboot the laptop to scan the c drive.

total size of c drive is 13.9 with 4.03 gigs left and another d drive with 18.2 total size with 16.0 gigs left.

___

Do you know anything about the hibernation problem? As of right now, I have disabled hibernation and just using standby.

Thanks!

View Post

When you come out of hibernation, is there a beeping that the computer makes sometimes?

totoro1220

totoro1220

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am having problems with the C Drive. I had even lower memory before and this never happened. I actually deleted some stuff to free some space.

I did not install anything new with when the hibernation problems started occuring. I did a system restore and somehow it solved the problem for a while. But it started acting up again so I decided to post questions on this forum and disable hibernation.

One thing I did notice that changed was my Norton Anti-Virus "This is Spam" button disappeared from my Microsoft Outlook toolbar. And all email mark with "Norton Anti-Spam" does not directly go into that folder but only to my inbox. Additionally, my Microsoft Outlook is not picking up spam emails.

totoro1220

totoro1220

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
And no beeping noise when I come out of hibernation. Don't know if it is because it is due to the fact that I turn off the speaker.