Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Difference of Intel Pentium and AMD Athlon?

• Please log in to reply

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Whats is the difference on these two types of cpus? I know that AMD is better for games! CAn some name the differences or give me a link! Thanks!
RockyIV

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
http://www.hardwarea...nt/topic/43108/

This oughta help you out. but just in case, the main difference is the achitecture.one out performs the other in some aspect of the computer age. it just depends on whether or not you are looking for better office power or better gaming power.

for what it's worth, my AMD gives me almost the same amount of speed as the intel in the office department.
Also, AMD doesn't run quite as hot as intel, plus AMD can be overclocked a little better then Intel. but some of the intel diehards will say its the otherway around.

I have to admit though the number or motherboards with melted intel processors over AMD is staggering, at least in my part of the world.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Thats interesting efwis, because its exactly the opposite in my observations. in the last year, I have seen many a fried AMD, and not a single dead intel. none of these were machines going for overclocking, etc. just straight setups for office and gaming apps.
There are many an AMD fanatic that will tell you AMD is better, and give you 8 gazillion reasons why. I have no issue with their chips, I just havent used them much at all. I have used intel for a long long time, and never really had problems.

its all a matter of what you want to do with the system, and what price suits you, etc.

Xorgroth

Xorgroth

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Oh Athlons are dying out as are some of the pentiums....Since you never said which one exactly. 1-4...I think there is 4...Don't use Intel to much, although they do run cooler than a AMD that is for sure. Athlon XP was designed for XP of course. Intel and AMD have two different rating systems, AMD has the + and 2100 which, is what it compares to a Intel chip Like, Athlon 3000 runs just as good as a Intel Pentium 3.0GHz, even if that AMD is only running at 2.1GHz and yes it goes to heat output.
Their is this old infamous video on the heat issues....
http://www.tomshardw..._test_lab_video
Non-bias suggestion just go with what you like, have hardcore gamers I know that use P4 only and intel, though most are AMD.

Xorgroth

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Thanks everyone! I will read the articles later!
RockyIV

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
all I know is I should of gone with amd only because of the 64-bit cpus or atleast gotten a em64t cpu which I didn't. made a mistake..o well...atleast my first build is working.

but I know that p4s overheat less because of some underclocking feature they have.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
There's not that much difference. They are just made by two competing companies.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Thanks for all the help guys! I just finished reading the two links! Thanks!
RockyIV

jm312005

jm312005

• Pip
  • 3 posts
make it simple intel - high processor speeds
amd - low latency

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Whats Latency?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not really AMD are more capable of uing low latency memory and have a better memory controller than intels do, It is an over simplification and AMD make fast chips as well now especially if you want them to. They have very different architectures from each other.