Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win 98 shutdown

• Please log in to reply

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi everybody please :)
I work in a computer store and we sell alot of refurbished computers so we deal with alot of custumers who have some older machines and older OS like win 98 now I get alot of questions about windows 98 shutdown alot of people complain that their win 98 even if it's a fresh install when shutting down it stick at the splash screen saying Windows is shutting down..
and just hangs never goes to it is safe to shut down or just shuts down
I get alot of complaints for this on different machines and types
the tech that used to work here had a quick fix took him bout a minute to fix dut he never showed anyone what he did :) so now hes gone and nowan knows what to do and the new tech does not know either soo just asking anyone if they know a quick fix for this problem or what it might be.
thankyou in advance

PastaBoy4 :tazz:

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
My guess it was probably this.... it only works for win98se though

http://www.microsoft...8SE/Default.asp

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
thankyo I'l let the guy know and have him test it out thanx alot

Mel Clarke

Mel Clarke

• Pip
  • 6 posts
This happens to me almost everytime I shut down my machine. It hangs and locks up too.

Going to check out that link!

M.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
This probably has to do with Automatic Updates for XP. On both my XP machines this has happened, actually three times because I reinstalled on one. some of the updates don't want to install together and the install occurs during shutdown so the machine just hangs. The solution was to turn of Automatic and just do the updates a few at a time, one if need be.