Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need to make my comp a lil faster

• Please log in to reply

jmelendez86

jmelendez86

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have hardly nothing on my computer but yet it runs slow???? what do i do...i have windows xp...dell inspiron 1150

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Do you have a firewall, antivirus, anti-spyware software?

You might have a virus or spyware on your computer.

What is the specs of your computer?

jmelendez86

jmelendez86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Do you have a firewall, antivirus, anti-spyware software?

You might have a virus or spyware on your computer.

What is the specs of your computer?

View Post

well im forever cleaning it & when i tried 2 put the antivirus, it would freeze all da time during a scan? so i took it off.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Have you done a virus scann and any-spyware scan in safe mode?

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
You should install something against spyware and adware too besides an antivirus and must run updated scans to keep the system clean. Also how much free disk space do you have?Have you cleaned out unwanted files lately? While in safe mode it would also be good to run chkdsk and then analyze and defragment your drive if it needs one. Doing these things regularly may help keep your system running pretty fine if there isnt any other specific problem.

http://www.microsoft...ted/speed.mspx/
http://www3.telus.ne...mar/slowcom.htm

jmelendez86

jmelendez86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

You should install something against spyware and adware too besides an antivirus and must run updated scans to keep the system clean. Also how much free disk space do you have?Have you cleaned out unwanted files lately? While in safe mode it would also be good to run chkdsk and then analyze and defragment your drive if it needs one. Doing these things regularly may help keep your system running pretty fine if there isnt any other specific problem.

http://www.microsoft...ted/speed.mspx/
http://www3.telus.ne...mar/slowcom.htm

View Post

ive done chkdsk 5000 times & da dsk dfrgmntr!

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
If you computer runs slow maby you have too much running in the background.

Go start - programs - starup and you can delete every thing you find.

Go start - run type msconfig and hit the startup tab you can untick anything that you don't need to run on startup, for most people you only need you AntiVirus/AnitSpyware runing and also your instant messaging program. If you are unsure about something please PM me about it.

If you don't extensively use the search feature in XP, this next tweak is for you. By extensively, I mean like everyday. Windows XP has this "feature" called "Indexing". It's supposed to speed up searches by keeping all the files on your computer tied to memory. By tying up these files to memory, it can really slow things down. Disabling this service will remove this files from memory, inturn giving your applications and files faster response times. You will still be able to search with the Indexing turned off, but the searching will just take a little log to perform. To turn off Indexing:

1. Open up "My Computer"
2. Right-click on your hard drive (usually "C:") and choose "Properties"
3. Uncheck the box at the bottom that reads "Allow Indexing Service to..."
4. Click OK then the files will be removed from memory. This removal may take a few minutes to complete, but it's worth it.

You will also need to disable the indexing service here too:

1. Go to "Start", then "Run"
2. Type "services.msc" and press enter
3. Scroll-down to "Indexing Service" and double-click it
4. If the service status is "Running", then stop it by pressing the "Stop" button
5. To make sure this service doesn't run again, under "Startup Type:", choose "Disabled"

That is tweak two in the Easy XP tweaks thread

Edited by Michael Buckley, 14 September 2005 - 12:57 AM.