Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup takes ages

• Please log in to reply

Steezy20

Steezy20

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello people, It's me again.

I don't think this problem is anything to do with my other problem but it might be.

Basically, the problem is Startup takes ages... we're talking about 3 minutes on the desktop before anything works.

Statup items:

Abolute Startup monitor - asmon.exe
ctfmon.exe
hp psc 100 series - hpohmr08.exe
hpoddt01.exe
iTunes helper - iTunesHelper.exe
Kodak Easyshare Software - EasyShare.exe
mcagent.exe
mcupdate.exe
mpftray.exe
mskagent.exe
mskdetct.exe
Nero Filter Check - NeroCheck.exe
NvCplDaemon - NvCpl.dll
NvMedia Center - NvMctray.dll
nwiz.exe
Registry Cleaner Scheduler - RCScheduler.exe
Speedtouch USB Diagnostics - dragdiag.exe
SunJavaUpdateSched - jusched.exe
TCAUDIAG
VirusScan Online - mvcsshld.exe
VSOCheckTask - mcmnhdlr.exe

From this, and using "Absolute Startup," I have seen that all of these are needed.
Most are McAfee related and thus essential, but the problem exists.

System tray icons takes ages to fully appear. In the system tray are;

McAfee,
My modem diagnostics,
kodak easyshare,
"Safely Remove Hardware", and
my LAN.

McAfee. in particular, takes ages to appear. it's there to begin with, but then the VirusScan is disabled, then Enabled once more before any other icon can appear.

I've tried re-formatting, but the same happens.

Thanks.

*edit* Forgot to mention, shutting down my computer also takes an age.
Could this be down to my Hard Drive??

Edited by Steezy20, 02 September 2005 - 07:45 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Check in the bios if cache memory in the cpu is enabled. Just yesterday I saw a computer in which it was disabled for some reason and it had exactly the same problem.

2: Disconnect your modem, remove your antivirus and start the computer. If there is an improvement then your antivirus is corrupted.

3: Upon startup check if all the memory shows up. Maybe there is a module which is faulty or loose. If possible run a test program to check the memory.

Steezy20

Steezy20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I looked in my BIOS and found;

System BIOS Cacheable - Disabled
Video BIOS Cacheable - Enabled

So, I Enabled the 1st one... no improvement... if anything, even longer.

I decided to "clear the cache" through McAfee, which helped a little bit, but not a lot.

Then I disconnected my modem, uninstalled McAfee, and restarted. There was a small improvement, but nothing ground breaking, still quite slow.

Re-installed McAfee, plugged in modem and restarted... no noticeable difference.

I've ran a check on my memory, thats all OK.

Confuzzled once more :tazz:

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
based on what information I have gotten from both of your topics, I'm beginning to wonder if you might have a power supply problem.

in your original topic dealing with the USB ports, you mention not being able to run more then two items at one time. And here you are talking about slow bootup. both of these problems can be caused by a weak power supply or a faulty circuit in the motherboard.

I would recommend downloading Everst home edition, from here http://www.lavalys.com and running that, it will show you a lot of useful information including the volatge from the PS and CPU. also could you let us know what size power supply you have.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please check in the bios for L1 and L2 cpu cache memory and see if they are enabled. Have you checked the memory as suggested in my previous post?

Steezy20

Steezy20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Here's the Everest Report.

it says my "Cache" is enabled, but I couldn't find anything apart from the

System BIOS Cacheable and
Video BIOS Cacheable

in my BIOS. May just be me being blind though.

It also says my memory is OK.

All I need to know now is my power supply size
*goes to look*

Edited by Steezy20, 02 September 2005 - 01:27 PM.

Steezy20

Steezy20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sorry to double post, but I needed to grab attention.

My power supply is a
Enermax EG651P-V(E) 550W ATX power supply, so no troubles there then.

Is it possible that my power supply is not as good as it used to be??
If so, how do I test it??

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
the only way to test it, would be to put a different one in and see how the system runs afterwards. AS for testing the possible motherboard standpoint, that needs to be done in a shop. If hte person who built this machine is a reputable dealer in the area, you can take it to him, he should have the equipment to test it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It is difficult to tell whether your problem is hardware or software. Going through the thread again I vaguely recall the USB problem you had, which, if still exists, could be connected to the present one. What I think should be done at this stage is a radical action which will bring your computer to square one.

1: clear cmos by taking out the battery (after unplugging the machine from the wall socket). Keep it out for about 15 minutes and reinstall. You can use, instead, the special jumper made for that (again, disconnect power to the computer before playing with the jumper)

2: take out the usb card add-on.

3: clear format the computer. restart without adding any software or hardware except for system drivers. These atre essential. If Ok, start adding components one at a time, restarting after each one.

4: If the system doesn't work well after windows installation I would try to replace the HD. Maybe you have a problem there.

5: If all this doesn't help then I would look for a problem in the motherboard.