Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with PC after loading Norton AntiVirus/spa

• Please log in to reply

JohnnyDncl

JohnnyDncl

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I recently downloaded Norton AntiVirus/AntiSpam 2005, and now I cannot get into windows. The computer starts up and I can click on my name than it automactically starts shutting down. Than I have to click turn off computer and shut it down. Its like it is in a loop. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful> Thank you

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can try going into safe mode and using System Restore to restore your computer to the point before you installed Norton.

JohnnyDncl

JohnnyDncl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I got in the safe mode and have tried all options listed on f8 and it keeps doing the same thing. Nothing has fixed it

How can I get to a c prompt? Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you got into safe mode--or you did not get into safe mode and just got to the menu for safe mode?

There is a difference

To get to a command prompt, do you have a windows xp cd? Load with that, choose boot form cd, then choose repair using recovery console to get to command prompt

JohnnyDncl

JohnnyDncl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
where do I get boot from cd?? I thought I was in safe mode.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
JohnnyDncl,

If you can reboot into safe mode and remove Norton AntiVirus and AntiSpam 2005.

Then reboot into normal mode, I would like you to install ONE at a time and reboot.

E.g install Norton Antivirus, then reboot.

Reason why I am suggesting this, is because this worked for me when i had this problem. 2 years ago when i had the problem with some of Nortons software.

JohnnyDncl

JohnnyDncl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: I can get to the screen to choose safe mode and after I choose it nothing changes. I can also get to f12 and I choose repair windows with the operating disc in and I get as far as it asking what do you want to repair I can type help and a list appears but I do not know what to choose or if this will even help. I am desperate this computer has all my business info on it. :)

JohnnyDncl

JohnnyDncl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I fixed my problem. Thanks for all your help.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
If you dont mind me asking, what was the problem?
What is Nortons software causing your problem?

:tazz: :) Awesome that your computer is working correctly now :) :)

JohnnyDncl

JohnnyDncl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I got f12 to work and reloaded windows. Luckily all my info was saved. I really do not know what the problem was so I unistalled Norton. Before this problem happend I was getting an application error mnyexpr.exe when I would start up and would have to click ok two times before it would let me go into windows and I am getting the same error again. Any Ideas?????? thanks