Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extremely Quiet Sound?

• Please log in to reply

Rushing Zephyr

Rushing Zephyr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just got my computer back after sending it back to the company to fix the motherboard. Well, now I can just BARELY hear the sound coming out of my speakers even with the volume cranked up on the speakers and set to max in volume controls.

The sound output is so quite, I initially thought my computer wouldn't output sound at all, so I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. Now I come to this forum, desperate to know, how do make the sound at a normal audible level?

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
I know you said you adjusted the sound in volume controls, but I think this is where your problem lies. Depending on your OS, you'll have 2 places you can adjust the sound settings. Look down in your system tray (by the clock), do you see a little speaker there? Double click it to bring up the volume controls. You'll need to not only adjust the volume levels, but also the Wave and possibly CD player controls. Start by matching the wave with the volume, try something in the middle. Then play a sound file, or CD or whatever music you might have.

If no luck, go into control panel and go to sounds and audio devices. Check the device volume, also check the speaker set-up. You have speaker volume control here, as well as speaker settings. Click the tab at the top for audio, make sure the default device is correct.

Hope this helps. :tazz:

Rushing Zephyr

Rushing Zephyr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Summarizing what I have found out (I'll go more in depth later), my audio out jack is ruined (due to the motherboard, I assume). I changed the sound mode to 4 speaker surround and have my desktop speakers set to the rear speakers. They are hooked up to what would have normally been the audio input jack, which evidently works. Now I just need to find a way to get audio out for desktop speakers going through the audio in jack. I wish there was a program that could do that for me :tazz:

Rushing Zephyr

Rushing Zephyr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Posted Image
:tazz:

Xorgroth

Xorgroth

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Kind of a confusing picture there, will just go with the first and say both aren't working? Line-in and out? Can't change them as far as I know and putting in the time if it was possible would be not worth it much. Don't believe there is anything you can do manually in win32 to change those outputs.
Now I'll assume you have tried both jacks for your audio and have only one wire that needs to go into the jack and tested both jacks with that one wire....so with RMA for a replacement again or just go out and buy a PCI sound card.

Edited by Xorgroth, 04 September 2005 - 12:26 AM.