Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

COM ports problem

• Please log in to reply

saradar

saradar

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi all
well my problem is that i have three PCs running windows XP.one of my PC is connecting two other PCs on its COM1 and COM2 ports. i have made my central PC as a server which will assign address to other two PCs when they will dial it on direct cable connection. well for one PC thid thing works.but not for other. i mean i can not use both ports simultaneously.same is the case with hyperterminals.i can not open two hyperterminals at the same time on my central PC for other two PCS. my COM ports are not shring resources.no conflicts.plz help

thanx in advance
sara

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Saradar

When you mean that you cannot open two hyperterminals at the same time, do you mean clicking hyperterminal in the menu twice or trying to connect to the second cp when the first session is open.

This quote is from Microsoft Hyperterminal Help file

You can only have one connection open per each HyperTerminal session. You can, however, start multiple HyperTerminal sessions, opening a new connection for each session, provided each connection uses a different communication port. To set up a new connection, see Set up a new connection.

You should be able to open two seperate Hyperterminal windows, have each one connect to the seperate cps, as long as the phone numbers, com ports, yadda yadda are all different. If you are trying to connect with both through the one session, the first connection will disconnect once you tell the session to connect to the second connection. :tazz: Clear as mud!!

Hope this helps.

saradar

saradar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hi all

i have come to know that windows XP can not establish two connections at a time which are of same type.
i mean two direct cable connections.or two dialup connections.
i quote here note from WindowsXP documentation
"
WindowsXp Professional can accept three incoming connections at a time, provided they are different types. For example , there can be three simultaneous connections, one each, from dial-up, VPN and a direct connection. If another incoming connection attempt is made with the same type, such two dial-up connections, the second connection rquest is rejected.
"
i want two DCC connection on XP.is there any third party software to overcome this limitation.plzzz help
regards
sara

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Hi Sara. Please keep all your questions and answers in one thread. Thanks. :tazz: