Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Autmotic updates hangs on initialzing updates

• Please log in to reply

Shiny-p

Shiny-p

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,

Within the past week my PC has been cleaned up and a nasty infection removed. With the excellent guidance of Trevuren from this forum, my PC is now healthy. (The thread to remove my infection can be read here - http://www.geekstogo...0&#entry320450).

I have now taken the opportunity to install all the windows updates I've missed, including SP2. In total 38 updates. They all seemed to install fine, and I switch Automatic Updates back on.

Yesterday I was informed by Automatic Updates a further 8 updates were to be installed when I powered down my PC, but when I came back 4 hours later, I was told it was still installing 1 of 8. I eventually had to cut the power.

When I switched my PC back on. I was informed I still had 8 updates to install. But when I tried to install, it just hung on the "Initializing updates" screen - please se attached document with screenshot.

I've now switched off Automatic update.

Why will these updates not install?

It is possible I've made changes to services at some point to improve performance, but this may or may not have anything to do with it.

The updates in question are given at the end of this post.

Can anyone please give me some advice as to why this is happening? Every time I power down my PC it's hanging and I'm having to switch it off manually.

Many thanks, Simon

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB896727)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Update for Windows XP (KB894391)
Install this update to address an issue that may cause a "Generic Host Process" error message to be displayed after you install security update MS05-012, or cause attachment file names not to be displayed in Rich Text e-mail messages. After you install this update, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB885250)
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Update for Windows XP (KB887742)
This update addresses an issue that could cause your system to stop responding if certain firewall or antivirus programs are installed. You can help resolve this issue by installing this HTTP.sys update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB886903)
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system running the Microsoft .NET Framework and gain access to restricted data. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Windows Messenger (KB887472)
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Critical Update for Windows XP (KB886185)
This update helps narrow the definition of the My network, or local subnet, restriction option in the Windows Firewall. This is helpful in situations where the Windows Firewall would consider a large network to be on the local subnet because of how the dial-up software configured the route tables. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Critical Update for Office XP on Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB885884)

Attached Files

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Use manual windows update to install one at a time.

in ie, TOOLS > windows update

select just one at a time

Shiny-p

Shiny-p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi gerryf, thanks for getting back to me.

I tried your suggestion but Windows Update fails on every update and states the following reasons for the problem.

Problem: Automatic Updates is currently installing updates
Solution: Please wait until Automatic Updates is complete and then check your update history. At that time, if the update has failed to install, you can try installing it from the website.
(please find a screenshot attached for full description (image in Word document))

If I turn on Automatic Updates my computer just hangs on shutdown as it tries and fails to install the 8 updates.

Can anyone please tell me what action I should take?

Many thanks, Simon

Attached Files

Edited by Shiny-p, 05 September 2005 - 01:28 PM.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Clear Windows Update History and try-again.
For details on clearing Windows Update History refer Method2 in the following M$-KB article:
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811269

Shiny-p

Shiny-p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Excellent, Thanks Darth,

That seemed to work at the second attempt. The help is appreciated, my PC is now running fantastically.

Kind regards, Simon