Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't change themes....

• Please log in to reply

Xantos89

Xantos89

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I posted this before but the guy helping me kinda, um stopped, so Ill post specifically what's going on when I click properties on my desktop....

At "Themes", it's at Windows XP, it's got the backround I selected but in the space where its usually like what the windows will look like, it's got this black box. If I select another theme, say Windows classic, an "Error Loading Theme" box comes up saying,

"The theme could not load. Unspecified error

File:C:WINDOWS\resources\Themes\Windows Classic.theme

Desktop- is fine.

Screen- saver is fine.

In appearence- all there is in the box where it used to show what the windows will look like, it says "Theme Preview".

Windows and buttons:
Windows Classic style-can't change this when I go to tab this is the only option

Color scheme:
-nothing can't select anything either

Font size:
-nothing here either, can't select anything

Settings- is fine, nothing wrong with that.

And that's the basics of what I got on properties menu.

Can someone plz help??

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi Xantos89,

Welcome to Geeks To Go, my name is Tony_1983.

Have you got any software on your computer like X-Setup that you my have played around with?

If so, what are the tweaking software that you have?

Edited by Tony_1983, 04 September 2005 - 01:51 AM.

Xantos89

Xantos89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
sorry for late reply, no I have no tweaking software at all. This sort of happened a couple months ago when I came home from a vacation I found my computer was bombarded by viruses. I came to this website for the first time and somone helped me clear everything up. I noticed then that I could not change these settings and figured one of the viruse had deleted something to make it do this. I just realized that I could go on this website again and ask for help with it.

So any ideas what to do?

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
To be honest Im not sure what to suggest here, I'll keep looking around.

But I will also get another staff memeber to help as well.

Xantos89

Xantos89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
k...I'll just wait i guess.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Hello Xantos89 :tazz:

Go into Windows Explorer (you can get there by right-clicking your Start button and choosing "Explore")

Navigate to this folder:

C:\WINDOWS\resources\Themes

Inside the Themes folder, there should be these files: "Luna.theme" and "Windows Classic.theme" and then a Luna folder.

Are you missing any of these?

Is your theme currently the XP Theme or Classic?

Xantos89

Xantos89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Wow.... I wish I could show you guys how weird this is.... ok

So I went to the file and found all the files you said there should be. I decided to try fooling around.

My old theme by the way was windows classic, at least it said it was. The windoes and borders were classic theme. I double clicked Luna theme and suddenly my windows and toolbar and such went back to the old blue Windows XP theme. I went to properties and I can even change the font and color of the borders, (Olive Green, Silver...) so I tried clicking WIndows classic theme, and got the old "The theme could not load. Unspecified error" thign again. I went to the file in the themes box that said Windows classic theme file and the error message came up again.

So I tried doudl clicking the Luna file and clicked the luna settings file. The screen showed the windows classic theme and I pressed ok.

All that did was make my window border words, very small, even the x button on the top right. But otherwise that it was still the XP theme....

NOW I can't change my theme to classic. :tazz:

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
hmm ok, I thought it might be a problem with Luna, but based on your description I have no clue what's wrong with it. Do you want to try replacing the Windows Classic.theme file?

Xantos89

Xantos89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Yeah sure watever, i can't change it anyway. At least I got the XP theme back, I like it better.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Xantos89

Make sure that the Themes services aren't disabled in Windows Services. Click Start then Run and type services.msc and click "Ok" If it's disabled, change it to "Automatic".

Go HERE and download Resources.zip. When you extract the files, make sure the destination path for the extraction is c:\Windows (providing your Windows installation is on the C drive...if it isn't, change to the appropriate drive letter). You want to replace the current files with the new ones so choose "Yes" if prompted to replace them.

Reboot your machine and try to change your Theme...bet it works!

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 07 September 2005 - 12:48 PM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Has the problem been resolved with your themes?

Xantos89

Xantos89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
....no.... still can't load the classics theme. Basically its the same problem. Some parts of the theme load when I try, like the backround, and the the font, but the windows and the toolbar stay the same... this is really weird, I figured this wasn't so uncommon but I guess it is. :tazz:

Phants

Phants

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've had this very same problem for a while. Finally being annoyed by it for a while i decided to try and fix it. I tried replaxing my theme files etc like above and nothing worked, then a friend suggested created a new user.

I created a new admin user and copied my short cuts and what not across and everythings now fine! :whistling:

Hope this works for you! :blink:

Edited by Phants, 20 August 2006 - 09:37 AM.