Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Repair

• Please log in to reply

wllm55

wllm55

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I have been experimenting with alot of the tweaks that are suggested by experts (not making any changes on my own!). I have kept snapshots of the changes I have made. I am going to do a OS reinstall eventually and then set up the tweaks that I find have the settings for what I want. Here are the questions: If I do an XP repair, will that set my computer back to the original (out of the box) settings? If I run my computer backups, will that restore my computer to it's original configuration? And, does running XP repair frequently do any harm to my computer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Newt
:tazz:

Advertisements

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo. :)

To answer your questions, re-installing XP will take your computer settings back to the start, with no viruses, no programs and no hassles. It'll be nice and clean. However, it won't mean that it's now back to the "Out of the box" state. To get that done, you will have to put in a new harddrive. :)

Re-installing XP frequently won't do any harm to your computer. It's much like re-installing a new application. Just make sure that your crucial files are backed up on a flash disc or floppy.

There you go, hope that's what you're looking for. :tazz:

Edited by FreddieKrugerGuy, 04 September 2005 - 08:08 AM.

wllm55

wllm55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for your response. I know that a re-install will take me back to original settings, but will a "repair" take me back to the computer's original configuration? This way I can take it back, keep my programs and files, set up the tweaks that I want, play with it for awhile, If I don't like the changes, "repair" XP again, set up more tweaks until I find the set up that I want and finally do a "re-install" and set things up the way I like them. Also, if I do back up's as I go, can I run these back up's and will my configurations change to what they were when I made the back up? Again, any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Newt :tazz:

Also, while I am having this "Brain Fart", am I correct in thinking that I can set up different User Accounts that will change to a specific configuration. This way I could test several configurations instead of doing an "XP repair" frequently? :)

Edited by wllm55, 04 September 2005 - 08:51 AM.

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Also, if I do back up's as I go, can I run these back up's and will my configurations change to what they were when I made the back up? Again, any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Newt

Yes. It will repair all your settings.

Am I correct in thinking that I can set up different User Accounts that will change to a specific configuration.

No. User accounts all share the same computer configuration settings, except Desktop, Pictures, Music etc.

Freddie :tazz:

Edited by FreddieKrugerGuy, 04 September 2005 - 09:01 AM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi wllm55,

Welcome to Geeks To Go. My name is Tony.

Yes Windows Repair will repair the system files on your computer.

wllm55

wllm55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Okay, I can't thank you people enough. You just saved me a ton of time experimenting with this stuff! Again thanks for your assistance. Newt
:)
:tazz:
:)

Edited by wllm55, 04 September 2005 - 09:12 AM.