Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sudden loss of wireless connectivity

• Please log in to reply

minnelinda

minnelinda

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
5-month old Dell Inspiron 600m laptop; Windows XP; internet-connected in our home office through a secure wireless connection; broadband router to our two desk top computers.

Problem: Yesterday I suddenly lost connection from the laptop (while printing a document, though I think that's coincidence?) Have been unable to get connection back. The two desk-top computers have good connection, working fine. Surf's up but my laptop doesn't even have water wings.

Everything on the laptop that I can think of as relating to the internet connection checks out as correctly configured, operating, etc. I've disconnected/reconnected the modem, router. I uninstalled/reinstalled the driver. Still no connection to the laptop.

My wireless connection shows up as a strong signal. When the laptop connects, it tells me I have limited or no connectivity.

:tazz:

Can anyone help me figure this out? I'm hoping to avoid a call to my friendly local (very-expensive) computer tech.

Thanks-

Advertisements

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Try The WinSockFix from here Located at the top under 'Preperation'! This repairs your internet connection! Please reply with the result!
RockyIV

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Have paid your bills?LOL! Samething happened to us and after alot of time at the computer, We called the Tech Guys and asked whats going on and they said you haven't paid this bill! So my dad immediately paid it! LOL it was funny!
RockyIV

minnelinda

minnelinda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Rocky-

I really appreciate your help-

Since I can't get the laptop online, I downloaded the WinSockFix onto my other computer, copied it to a cd, then put that in the laptop and ran WinSockFix.

Didn't work.

The laptop still recognizes the wireless connection, but reports 'limited or no connectivity'- and I'm completely unable to get online from it.

As for paying the ISP bill- yup, that's in good shape. Otherwise our other two computers would be disconnected too.

Any other ideas for me to try?

Thanks-

Minnelinda

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
It could be a problem with your ip address, one possibility is that it expired and cant renew for some reason, is dhcp enabled on your router?
if so, try the ipconfig /release renew command.