Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

toby36

toby36

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Compaq notebook , Win XP, only a couple years old. After startup and is warm, the mouse as well as program will hang. If there is talk going on, it will sort of stutter. I restored the system, IT IS NOT SOFTWARE. If I gently bump, it may start to work, but not for long.. The harddrive is a Hitachi 20 Gig. Usually if it sets over night and I start up cold, it will work for a while. I had a PC repair shop check it and they said there was nothing wrong. I am pretty sure they ran a program called Microscope 2000. I didn't get much for my $50 . Does this sound like a hard drive , or mother board or what.
Thanks
Joe

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
just curious, what do you mean by hanging and when the mouse hangs, can you still get to the programs by let's say moving the curser with the tab and arrows.

Please post back.

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

If you are convinced the problem is your hard drive try the instructions below

Right click on the Hard drive in question select properties, select tools tab and under error-checking select the check now button. Make sure the 2 options remain unticked/unchecked and click start.

If the scan completes without errors, try scanning again but with the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors ticked/checked. (This one could take quite a while)

Hope this helps

toby36

toby36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I say the system and mouse hangs up, nothing wil move. The curser with left , right arrows will not move, and when music or speech is coming from the speakers, the sound stays at that instant until it happens to (un stick). If the computer has been on for just a while and is shut down , it is almost impossible to re-boot, when completely idle for a good while, it usually boots right up. When it hangs up, it while go no further....
I guess a better discription would be, the screen freezes at that time. I tried what "fungit" suggested and the check and repair section will not finish. it stops and freezes at phase 4 of the "check"
I can open and close the the cd-dvd drive drawer.
I wonder if this is something open on the mother board or a weak component??

Edited by toby36, 05 September 2005 - 07:34 AM.

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

If the problem is not software or virus related than i think your best bet is that you might have faulty memory or the cooling on your CPU is failing.

I'm not familiar with the model of your laptop but your next best bet is to check your system manual and see what type of memory your system supports and if you can actually change it.

If you can change the memory, try and borrow or buy a 'reliable' 256MB SO-DIMM( laptop memory) Be sure to check that you get the right memory( DOUBLE CHECK YOUR MANUAL)
. Remove your old SO-DIMM(place it in an antistatic bag if you have one) and put in the new SO-DIMM and see if that works.

If your system still hangs, the most likely problem is that your CPU is overheating.

I hope I haven't left anything out.

Edited by fungit, 05 September 2005 - 11:28 AM.

toby36

toby36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
To FUNGIT, you may have hit on something.. When you go to the general info tab, where it details your installed RAM etc. It shows I have 240 MEG of memory . I think this is strange as the notebook has 256 MEG???

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
hmmm, that is strange.

Double check that figure again by calling up your task manager (ctrl+alt+delete)
and click on the performance tab and look under Physical memory(K) and see what the Total reads(unless you've done this already). Another option you might try is removing and reseating the SO-DIMM in your laptop.

Tips for replacing RAM (please ignore, if you know this stuff already) :tazz:

Obviously make sure your laptop is off and disconnected from the mains power supply

have your manual ready to show you how to remove and replace SO-DIMMS for your particular laptop

Also when handling your SO-DIMMS please be sure not to do this on a carpet and also discharge yourself of any static build up on your person by touching anything metal close by (for me that's normally my desktop case)that won't require you to move from the place where you will be doing this procedure.

I really hope you get your laptop back on track.

toby36

toby36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I just found a tool I didn't realize existed! Under control panel there is "Compaq Diagnostics". I get 2 hard drive errors:
Sequential verify Test failed Track 555 Head 6 error code 017010001

Drive Protection System Failure, recommended action, replace drive, error code 017037001.
Could this be my problem?? I don't know what these failures mean. It did not recommend an action for the first one..

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I just found a tool I didn't realize existed! Under control panel there is "Compaq Diagnostics".  I get 2 hard drive errors:
  Sequential verify Test failed Track 555 Head 6 error code 017010001

Drive Protection System Failure, recommended action, replace drive, error code 017037001.
    Could this be my problem?? I don't know what these failures mean. It did not recommend  an action for the first one..

View Post

The drive itself is faulty.