Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing WIN98

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You can name them anything you want. I like to use "Local Disk" for the C drive just for clarity in troubleshooting. You could label the others "Photos" or "Music"...etc.

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hmmm, at this point I can't do anything with C, I mean, no formatting at this point?! I'm about to do D, it had that Dsk1_vol2 (D:) for the disk name. I can change the label to, say Photo and it won't bother anything. Just a Quick (erase) or Full?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nope...won't be able to format the Primary Partition...that's by design...your Operating System resides in the C drive......

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do a Quickie...it's already been formatted once. We just need to clean it up.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
D went fine. E says I cannot perform a Quick format on this disk because it is not formatted or it's capacity does not match what is specified.
Click OK to perform a Full format using the capacity you specified.

Do Full or do something else?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do full formats on E and F....I've got to step out for about 15 minutes...should be back before the format is complete and we'll finish cleaning things up....

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Quick formet on D. Full on E and F. Ran standard ScanDisk and all seems fine - like I know what I'm talking about!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's do a quick ops check. Go into each drive and create a new folder. Reboot your machine then go back in and delete each folder....If the drives hold the folders over reboot and delete on command, you are good to go. Then we'll deal with the G drive issue.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Stange - I'm still in the Exporing my computer window. I put folders in D, E, and F - was I supposed to put one in C also? In the colum to the left, E and F now have a +, Ddk1_vol2 (D:) - which I relabeled as Photo - does not have a + yet it does have the folder in it.?
Still reboot now?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Before you reboot, Click View and then Folder Options on the tool bar of any open window (except the browser) then under the View tab, uncheck the button next to "Do not show hidden files and system folder" and click "Apply" then "Ok" I think your Recovery set gave you a backup install to it's own D drive.

Correction...Check the button next to "Show all Files:

Edited by wannabe1, 05 September 2005 - 10:49 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Now take a look in the D drive...anything in there?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I checked each drive and none of them had that button selected.
Now?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Opps! Umm, I'm color blind. Let me read your posts again!

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
OK, I opened each drive's folder and from there went to View>Folder options, in Hidden files the button for Show all files was selected.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Still no files showing in D?