Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing WIN98

• Please log in to reply

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
we can do any number you wish.

c: already exists.

do you want 3 more(for a total of 4)? 4 more? 5,6,7???????

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
after rereading your last post:

the size of c: is already determined. fdisk cannot resize a partition. if c: has to be the same size as the others, use a tool like Partition Magic after everything is up and running.

we can make the logical drives the same size i.e 34%, 33%, 33%.

at the main menu select:
3. Create Logical DOS Drive(s) in the Extended Partition

in the size box [12345], delete any numbers there and enter 34%, then hit return.
if that box is not displayed, please post the display.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Somewhere I thought I read of problems with more than four partition/drives with WIN98 (?). I have no real need - that I know of - to really have more than one partition. I thought I read that I might be able to have boot or BIOS or OS or something on more than one partition so that if the first drive went bad I could access the other drive(s) and continue. As photographer I do keep a number of images and thought they could be kept (perhaps safer) within another partition.

The drive I'm replacing apparently lost the BIOS and my problems got worse trying to resolve that. That is why I have a concern about BIOS or OS or whatever in multiple spots on my HD.

bamakodaker

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I'm not sure if there are problems using more than 4 partitions on win98. the maximum allowed is in the 20s. I believe the limit is due to drive labeling(A:, B:, C: ...,X:, Y:, Z:).

any other questions? ready to continue?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
bamakodaker...

There have been some issues with multiple partitions in WIN 98, but 2 or 3 partitions usually will present no problems. A single partition is always the simplest option. Consider setting up one more partition to store data backups?

wannabe1

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Original window? Is FDISK Options?
1 - Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive
It goes to Create DOS Partition or Logical DOS Drive, so now when I select 3 - Create Logical DOS Drive in the Extended DOS Partition
I get a note saying
Cannot create Logical DOS Drive without and Extended DOS Partition on the current drive.

Did I miss a step? I thought I'd rebooted at each correct point. I saw the mention of Partition Magic or some software. This is a new install. Would I be better to wipe the drive and start over?

If I start over - where do I need to do whatever is needed to avoid this problem? I'm open and willing for suggestions.

bamakodaker

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
no need to start over. this may take another hour os so to complete.

below is where the extended partition is created. let's try this again.

2. Create Extended DOS Partition,

if this takes you below, press enter. otherwise please post the display.

Create Extended DOS Partition window -
Current fixed disk drive: 1
Partition C: 1
Status A
Type PRI DOS
Volume Label (blank)
29031 Mbytes
FAT32 System
Usage 59%
Total disk space is 48935 Mbytes
Maximum space available for partition is 19854 (75%)
Enter partition size in Mbytes to create an Extended DOS Partition 19854

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
It has gone to Create Extended DOS Partition
It has previously mention info.
At bottom it says Verifying drive integrity, up to 8% now.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
while it's verifying, we can decide on the number of partitions. wannabe1 makes a good point - the simplest is the c: drive and one partition.

if you want 3 more we can certainly do that.

think about it while this is verifying.

here's another thing to ponder - your data backup is more important than having partitions. you were right in an earlier post - if the boot drive should become corrupt, you most likely would be able to get to files in the other partitions.

regardless of the partitions, if this is for your business, you should backup your photos/files on media other than your hard drive(i.e. to zip disk or cd). then store the media in a different location than the PC(in case of fire, theft,... ).

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
It has finished. My window is now Ceate Extended DOS Partition. Partition C:1 Staus A Type PRI DOS, no label, 29081 Mbytes, Usage 59%

Total disk space is 48935
Maximum space available ofr partition is 19854

It asks for partition size in Mbytes or persent of disk space to create an Exteneded DOS Partition

Is this saying I already have one partition of 59% used or is that what is still available? I wanted to have 4 rather equal sized partitions.

Where I am currently - do I put in 25% for the next (2?) partition?

bamakodaker

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
you already have the c: drive

to create 3 more: enter 34% in the size box [19854], after deleting 19854. otherwise press enter to create one logical drive.

before we continue, there's a problem. it looks like we've run into a win98 hard drive size limitation. only 48 GB of the 120 is recognized.

Total disk space is 48935
Maximum space available ofr partition is 19854

options:
1. continue, as an exercise, with creating 3 6GB partitions
2. create one partiton 19 GB
3. get info on drivers required to use the entire disk.

question - was C: created with the seagate cd or with fdisk?

we might as well finish 1 or 2, before proceeding with 3.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I am extremely grateful for the extended help in working on this. I'm just getting very frustrated. Obviously I've spent much more than the 2 hours suggested in Installing WIN989 to new hard drive.

All this was started by the Seagate CD. When I tried to follow the Geeks Install, it didn't start like Geeks said it should. I thought maybe I should just use the Seagate CD. If I start all over and found how to do it the Geeks way - if I could be through in two hours I kinda feel like it would be worth it now.

What I'm seeing now is -
1 A PRI DOS 29081 Mbytes FAT32 59%
2 EXT DOS 38922 Mb Unknown 34%

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
are there any menu options here?

1 A PRI DOS 29081 Mbytes FAT32 59%
2 EXT DOS 38922 Mb Unknown 34%

if not, then it looks like you have 2 partitions.

is 38922 Mb correct? is it really 18922 Mb?

I'm not knowledgable with the hard drive tools. It would require starting over, since you want 4 equal sized drives. I'm not sure if Partition Magic(or other tool) is able to make the entire drive visible. Someone knowledgable in these areas, hopefully, will post some suggestions.

If and when you get the hard drive sorted out, I would be happy to step you through the win98 install. it could take as little as an hour, but you might want to plan for worst case 3-4 hours. it will take longer if the installation deviates from the guide.

don't be discouraged. it looks like your hard drive is good. you've installed win98 and partitioned the drive. it takes a lot of patience to go step by step. congrats on the progress so far. sorry we hit the size limitation.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry bamakodaker...

I was off working on a machine and haven't been watching what was going on here...give me a few minutes to review the last few posts......

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...Let's get back to the option screen and choose option 4 (Display the information) and let me know what is says.

Sorry...I should have been watching this more closely...

wannabe1