Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing WIN98

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Yes, those are the correct numbers.
So I have 2 partitions? One at 29GB in FAT32 and another at almost 39GB but not with FAT32??

Do I need to reboot and get back in the fdisk window? Will it show I have more space?

I don't have to have 4 equal sized partitions, that was just my original intentions. I think I mentioned that in Post 63. With my limited understanding (see post 63) am I still going to be able to do all I want? I'm I going to be able to use the full HD?

No, this HD is not for business. While I do keep a lot of images on CD's (and lost usage of CD's, but that's another problem) I still end up with a lot of information (pics, geneology, contacts - on and on I've lost - and LEARNED) on the HD. If we should back up all the valuable information, why do we need big HD's? Sorry, I'm losing it now.

Can I continue to go forward and get close to what I want to do? It sounds like maybe I have more usage of the HD than we thought I would??

bamakodaker

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
bamakodaker...

Be patient, all is not lost. I do need to see the partition information, though, so I can determine what we'll need to do to accomplish your goal.

wannabe1

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I rebooted>Start>run - fdisk> Display Partition Infromation
Current fixed disk drive: 1
Partition C: 1
Status A
Type PRI DOS
Volume Label (blank)
Mbytes 29081
System FAT32
Usage 59%

Total disk space is 48935 Mbytes

Press Esc to continue

IF I can start over and get use of the whole drive - well, I'd rather do that.

I do greatly appreciate all the help and information.

Bamakodaker

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's only recognizing half of your drive. if you are set on having the 4 equal partitions, the quickest way at this point would be to start from the beginning. We can continue to try to sort this out, or we can begin anew...your choice.

wannabe1

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I'm starting over. Can I get this computer to recognize the whole HD? If I can then just tell me how to wipe the drive. When it's finished then I'll try the Geeks Install method. If I have problems I'll let you know - I'll start a new thread.

With much appreciation for your time and help.
bamakodaker

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...your computer is capable of seeing the entire drive. Using your startup floppy, restart with the floppy in the drive...when it boots to the option screen, press F5 for the A> prompt...at the prompt, type fdisk and press "Enter".

Delete all the partitions beginning with the Logical DOS and ending with the Primary DOS...rebooting between each deletion. When you are finished with this step, your HD will be as it was when you pulled it out of the box.

I've only used Seagate's partitioning software a couple of times so you'll have to give me lots of input during the partitioning and formatting procedure...I'll help you make the correct choices to set up 4 FAT32 partitions.

Hint...When we get started, reload this page often (Right click>reload (or refresh if using IE)...I'll be replying as soon as I see your post.

wannabe1

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Something missed early on. What is start up floppy? I have to admit not keeping things in best of order. I have older floppies listed as --
- Startup Disk 3
- Compaq Diagnostics/Setup 11/2001.
- Windows 98 Startup Disk 1 - 12/20/01

From the recent attemp with starting up I have floppies listed as - -
Bootable Compaq Personal Computer Diagnostics
Compaq PC Diagnostics Setup

The only thing I have that came with computer is the Compaq Restore CD

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you still have WIN98 running?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Sorry but you really are responding quickly.

Yes, WIN98 is running.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start and point to Settings and choose Control Panel. Double click Add/Remove Programs and click the Startup tab. Put a fresh floppy in the drive and click Create Disk. This will make a Startup Disk for your system.

You have my undivided attention until we are done... :tazz:

Edited by wannabe1, 05 September 2005 - 04:49 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In reading up on Seagate's software, I have found (Ithink) where the initial mistake was made...we'll get past it this time...try not to get ahead of me....

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Going on Startup Disk - 50% now

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Now were getting somewhere. sorry to butt in this late, but since you have win98 running can you install the Seagate software and have it take a look at the drive? It's a lot "smarter" than fdisk and format together and it may be able to partition and format the rest of your drive so that it is usable without losing anything, but you need to be very careful, as Dutch Shultz said on his deathbed "Don't make no bull moves George".

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy tyger...the quote is soooooo true. With the last partitioning, we lost half the drive during the initial setup so we're going to start fresh. I'm just using fdisk to zero the drive so Seagate's software won't have any issues with it. Seagate's software changes the default file type depending on partition size...we just have to make sure everything is in FAT32 instead of half n half.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I know what you are trying to say but I've no idea about Dutch Schultz - I'm going to have to Goggle that one!

I'll try Seagate CD. I see something about Ultra and Serial ATA user manuals - I'm not sure which is mine so I'll not look.

Has DiscWizard Installatio Software
SeaTools Diagnostics
Support Information
Backup Software

In SeaTools -
3 versions - Desktop, Online, Enterprise

Also Make Bootable SeaTools Dektop Diskette - tests most ATA drives.
SeaTools Online - a browser-based tool that will check ATA
SeaTools Enterprise - Ideal for SCSI and Dibre Channel drives, does not test ATA or SATA drives