Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting

• Please log in to reply

Raymond-Online

Raymond-Online

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
So I'm about to reformat my computer, so I go to cmd, type in "format c:". Yadda yadda, then it says the volume is in use by another process. The format may run if the volume is dismounted first. It gives me an option to force dismount so I choose the yes option.

The result is: Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.

Either I'm reformatting wrong, or I just need need some help. :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You realize that when you reformat the drive you will lose all information on it and will have to reinstall the operating system, unless your operating system is on another drive. If you seriously want to reinstall the operaing system and remove all your data change the BIOS to boot from cd-rom and put your OS installation cd in, then reboot. You will be given the option of a fresh install, at least on most installation disks.

Raymond-Online

Raymond-Online

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
How do I change the BIOS to boot from the CD-Rom?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go into the BIOS (hitting F1, F2 or DEL on most machines) when you first turn on your computer (check your manual for your motherboard if none of these work). You then look for and find the entry for boot priority (or boot order or whatever else that is similar) then change the first boot device to be the CD-ROM. Then save and exit the bios and your computer should reboot and you will either see on the screen text saying 'press any key to boot from cd' or you will have options appear on the screen allowing you to choose to boot from hard disk or from cd, depending on the version of windows you are using.

Edited by Fenor, 05 September 2005 - 12:21 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until you enter set up

You will have a main page with option, look for Boot order / priority

Set this to CD ROM Drive as 1 then hard drive, press F10 to save and exit, type Y to confirm then open the CD ROM Drive, insert the XP CD and leave the drive open, press enter and it will reboot

Look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

During the install it will reboot and show press any key to load from CD, do not press anything as it will move on to completing the install