Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP2; Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

hlapla

hlapla

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My computer has begun to crash every thirty minutes or so. Right before I see the blue screen, it sounds as if my hard drive is whirring very fast, and then, the screen goes black and then I see the Screen of Death.

This is the most recent message I have gotten-

0x0000007a (0xC03DD994, 0xCooooooE, 0xF7665384, 0x10Ba4860)
atapi.sys
address: F7665384 base at F7658000, datestamp 4110764d

And it says that it's a Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error

I looked at the post about the blue screens, but it didn't make much sense to me.

I also installed SP2 recently (as in earlier today.) Does this mean that I have to reinstall SP2?

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To check for a couple of things, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

hlapla

hlapla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for your response. I wasn't able to do that because my computer shut down before I was able to complete the scan. SO I brought it to Best Buy, where I got it from, and they found my hard drive was faulty, and I am getting it replaced. Sorry for wasting your time.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No problem, those scans will either replace and repair or show there is a fault, which they did by not running to completion

I am glad that the vendor has established the fault and agreed to replace the drive

Thank You for letting me know