Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is nvidia geforce 6800 a good card?

• Please log in to reply

TDizzle

TDizzle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Im looking to get a new, good graphics card and i was wondering if the nvidia geforce 6800 would be able to play games up to speed and last for a while or would i see a much noticable difference if i decided to shell out over 500 bucks for the radion 850 XT.

i assume the radion 850 would be a better card but is it worth the cash or would i be able to get along fine with the nvidia card?

i would mostly use it for games like half life and far cry so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Advertisements

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Well I haven't tried it, but many people say it is very good!
RockyIV

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
hi TDizzle,

i was going to purcashe a 6800 but my friends and family have had problems with it after about a month.

so i got a 6200 and its great there a lot cheaper and it can still play halflife 2 perfectaly with the grapic options full.

and on the nvidia site you can download tese demos that challange your cards graphics. i downloaded the 6800 demo and my 6200 plays it perfectaly.

but the the speed at what a game runs at also relys on the RAM.

hope this helped.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Customcomp i dont believe you in the slightest, the 6800s are good cards, if you dont want to spend as much money the x800s are a good alternative just as powerful and alot cheaper.

Mxrider

Mxrider

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
You could just get a good 6600GT.... They are probably the most popular Nvidia card out there right now. They will play almost any game with settings way up, if not highest. There are only a few games that you would even have to worry about backing down a bit. 6600gt's are in general very overclockable. They are faster than the 6800's in general. If you are set on a 6800 and you won't be playing Super Ultra high graphic games, then i suggest thisNewegg, 6800LE. It is a very clockable card, read some of the reviews. at $129 I don't think it can be beat for a 6800.

redcrypt

redcrypt

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I believe one of the reasons the radeon cards are so much more expensive is because they deal with input and output data. Like being able to hook your comp up to your tv and transfer from video cameras and stuff like that that most people will never use if all they want the card for is gaming.

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Customcomp i dont believe you in the slightest, the 6800s are good cards, if you dont want to spend as much money the x800s are a good alternative just as powerful and alot cheaper.

View Post

ok....were did i say that the 6800 was a bad card...?

and my 6200 plays the demo for the 6800 on full res fine!

Edited by customcomp, 06 September 2005 - 08:42 AM.