Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start menu missing in windows xp

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi haybailz...

I have been trying to duplicate your problem on my machine and the only way I can do it is with the horizontal and verticle "screen size" buttons on the front of my monitor...nothing else I've attempted caused the task bar or start menu to display "off screen".

wannabe1

Advertisements

haybailz

haybailz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
went into safe mode, unchecked lock toolbar, then restarted in normal mode to try and drag the start menu on screen, still nothing.......also tried the dpi setting, nothing..............could this be a problem with my video card?

haybailz

haybailz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i bypassed the nvidia video card and am using the original video card on the motherboard, the start menu is back, but when i go into the display propeties it is showing i am using two monitors, one on the original video card and one on the nvidia, which is probably why the start menu was missing, it was on the other card waiting for a monitor
thanks very much for the help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good Job haybailz! :tazz:

Had I known you had two video cards on your machine, that option would certainly have been given consideration. Thanks for posting back with your solution!

wannabe1

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Thank you for telling me. [RESOLVED] :tazz:

Cyphonik

Cyphonik

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Something else that you might want to try since you said the start menu is missing. One of the things I learned with this because it happened to me is my screen resolution and DPI settings were messed up and so I was having the same problem. After setting both of them back up and then going into safe mode and moving the bar to where I would like. I was able to keep the bar there when I logged in normally.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi haybailz,

Welcome to Geeks To Go, my name is Tony.

Just wondering if you issue has been resolved, if not, can you Please Click here and follow the instructions carefully.

KaTsMeO

KaTsMeO

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have no start menu, pls help me. I have big probs ??? Explorer.exe doesn't work either. I have to do everything thru my stardock. Thank God I have that. And in safe mode everything shows, but nothing in normal mode? Pls reply. Greatly appreciate it. KaTsMeO :)

It says startmenu help file was injected but failed to take effect.
It also says C:\DOCUME~1\Kelly\LOCALS~1\Temp\a350_appcompat.txt errors will be in this file....???

Edited by KaTsMeO, 10 July 2009 - 06:16 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
KatsMeO try starting a new topic and posting your problem in the XP OS forum. This thread is 4 years old and you most likely wont get a response. We will be glad to help you then with only your topic as the main one.
Your problem has been resolved in other topics but we will need to lok at yours closely to make sure we get the right fix for you. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. :) :)