Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 Freezes Up

• Please log in to reply

nutpi

nutpi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thank you and I will run this tomorrow morning.....I am half way there too....Thank you and have a pleasant evening.

Advertisements

nutpi

nutpi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Good morning. I have done what you have suggested and once again, I have lost the MS window logon. Will re-install it and let you know what happens as the day goes on....Have a pleasant day.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
nutpi...

Is your machine still "locking up" or have we taken care of that issue?

Please go to your Control Panel and Open "Add/Remove Programs"...check the box at the top of the window to "Show Updates"...scroll down the list and post me a list of the updates installed on your machine.

wannabe1

nutpi

nutpi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi...after I have done what you have recommended, so far the computer is doing fine. Here is the add remove program you have requested. please see attachment. Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• rem_programs.gif

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
nutpi....

Ok...we're making some progress here.

Go to Windows Update (Start > All Programs >near the top of the menu), choose the "Custom" option and let it scan your machine for updates. Download and install all Critical Updates if any are available. Reboot as necesary. Then go back to Windows Update, choose the "Custom" option again let it scan and in the left pane, choose "Software", download and install those updates.

Please post back with your results.

wannabe1

nutpi

nutpi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am having problems trying to download window updates. It was trying to update service pack 4 for window 2000 but update was unsuccessful due to some errors.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What were the errors, nutpi. Skip SP4 and move on the the software updates, but post back the errors you received if you can.

wannabe1

nutpi

nutpi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It tells me "ACCESS DENIED". I am not able to update any softwares at all.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's odd...do you have Admin rights? I'm assuming you do. How is your machine running? Any more lock-up issues? You might be good to go....

I'm looking into the SP4 problem and will post back to this thread with what I find.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 08 September 2005 - 03:14 PM.

nutpi

nutpi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have changed my user status and I am able to download updates now. Thank you. So far, it is working like a charm and much thanks for your kind assistance. God Bless.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are very welcome, nutpi. Glad I could help! :tazz:

wannabe1

nutpi

nutpi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Good morning Wannabe 1.....just to let you know that my computer is working fine and has not freezed up.....and I noticed that it is going at a faster speed too. Once again, thank you for your kind assistance. Have a good weekend. :tazz: