Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Help

• Please log in to reply

domyue

domyue

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I would like to know something about RAM upgrading...But firstly I'll tell you my system details:

P4 2.4ghz (Northwood)
Ram #1 : PC2100 256mb
Ram #2 : PC2300 256mb

As you can see, the RAM modules are mixmatched (PC2100/2300) to make 512mb...So is it worth upgrading this RAM to 2 of the same PC2700 256mb (=512 mb)??
Or even 2 of PC2700 512MB (=1 gig) ??

Is it even worth it for this old PC (2 years old)...I would imagine it was best to just save this £100 and use it to build a PC a few months later??

Oh and one more thing!! Should I wait for the BTX and new SATA drives to come out before I build or should I just stick with the present ATX??

Thanks for looking!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Before you do anything, you are going to have to find out just what your mobo can handle!!

Murray

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
My mobo can handle up to PC3200 i think, but it can definitely do PC2700 (recommended by crucial) and that's the one I wanna stick with really

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Make and model of your motherboard?? or your system make/model??

Murray

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
MSI MS-6567
Patriot is the make

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Well, according to the MSI site, you can put up to 1GB per slot to a max of 3GB ram.. along with anywhere from 2700 to 3200..

As for doing that upgrade, depending on your processor, you may or may not be better served upgrading the memory.. Totally up to you!!

Murray