Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loss of DVD playback

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out why a HP pavilion ze5400 with XP would begin to fail to play DVDs. Win Media Player usually starts to play the DVD but freezes by the time the DVD menu plays at the latest, Intervideo just fails to load the DVD, and Real Player freezes. The driver seems to be current (at least as far as I can figure) and reinstalling WMP doesn't change anything. Device Manager reports that the player is operating normally.
The owner (my gf's friend) says it all happened after installing AOL a few weeks ago. My next move is to uninstall AOL and see what happens, any other advice?

Drew

Edited by delawaredrew, 06 September 2005 - 04:50 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I know that HP cd/dvd roms need to have DLA installed to work properly. I know that this applies to burning cds/dvds but not whether it matters when just playing them.

Anyways, before trying to download the DLA driver for your player, I suggest that you use a real dvd player instead of WMP and RP which both are crap for playing dvd's. If you want a good free one, then I suggest you get VLC Media Player

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Since the players (all of them) worked fine prior to the AOL invasion, I'm gonna assume that AOL is the culprit before I install another playback program. The owner is happy with WMP, I installed the RP just to see if anything changed. If it matters it is a sony DVD-RW drive in a HP laptop, about a year old.
I'll get back to it later this afternoon and see if I can get AOL out of the picture.
A