Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP screen start-up problems

• Please log in to reply

Benevenagh

Benevenagh

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all! My laptop has just developed a fault. I get as far as the Windows XP Home logo when I power it up, but then the screen goes blank and I can't get to the desktop screen. The laptop continues to load or run something, but I can't get to see it! Seems like an XP problem to me, perhaps it's stuck in a loop or something. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://support.micro...b/310396/EN-US/

Benevenagh

Benevenagh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your advice Keith. For some reason my laptop does not recognise my administrator password. Am I doing something really stupid? The screen does work when XP is in Safe Mode and my administrator password works there to log onto the administrator account, but not in repair mode. So I'm a bit stuck at the first hurdle and can't really try your suggestion. Or maybe it's not the XP Administrator password I need? I'm just typing it in and hitting 'return'....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try leaving the box empty and just pressing enter