Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME problem

• Please log in to reply

dbaorc

dbaorc

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

I need to remove Norton antivirus and system works and reinstall it, but when I go to settings > control panel >add/remove programs > it comes up blank in the window for add/reove programs. This just seem to start to happen as I have used this feature before. Windows ME 4.90.3000 Build 3000. Is there another clean way of removing programs? Thank You in advance.
dbaorc

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Try using the uninstaller tool found in CCleaner.

You can download CCleaner from here:
http://www.snapfiles...t/ccleaner.html

After you install it, click on the "tools" button in the left-hand menu. Find the program you want to uninstall and press "run uninstaller".

Do a windows update whether this succedes or not. To do this:

Start Internet Explorer. In the menu at the top, click on "Tools", "Windows Update". Follow the prompts.

Let me know the results. :tazz:

computerwiz12890

dbaorc

dbaorc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your help, but I wasn't able to locate Norton antivirus, or Norton systemic on the list. However i did see Live Update, which warned me to uninstall the other Norton products first.

Let me start at the begining, which I should of in the first place. I encountered the following error when booting up : Unable to dynamically load Nprotect.VxD because Symevnt.386 to run sevinst.exe'. So I went to the Norton site to get the new sevinst.exe, but in order for me to use my computer I had to go to msconfig, and uncheck all of the Norton stuff for my computer to come clean. I downloaded the file and ran it as instructed, and still encountered the above error ('unable to ...). Their other solution was to reinstall Norton systemic etc, but when I trid that it said I had to uninstall it first, so when I went to settings> control panel> add/remove programs it came up blank, which is still a mystery to me. So I installed your ccleaner, but none of the Norton products show up to uninstall. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thanks
dbaorc

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I can only think of two other things that may help you, other than saying how ME was thrown together because of y2k. Here's my first idea:

1. Find the Norton Antivirus folder. (should be something like C:\Program Files\Norton Antivirus)

2. Browse through the folder and look for an executable with an uninstallation name, such as uninstall, unwise, uninstaller, etc. When you find a file with a name similar or identical to those, double-click on it. That will initiate the uninstaller for Norton. Do the same to the other Norton products if there are other folders with Norton in it's name.

If you find the uninstaller executable, but it fails to start, I have another idea. But if you can't find it at all, I will have to find someone else to look at your problem.

Hope I helped :tazz:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
on the symantec site they have uninstallers
try this
Unistall Nortons

dbaorc

dbaorc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

I used the norton link, and their SymNRT.exe. It seemed to work fine, however I can't open my Internet browser because a SHLWAPI.DLL is bad or missing. I'm on a friends computer sending this message to you. i have also been encountering Spool32 Holmno7.dll errors. The ShLWAPI.DLL error closes the Internet Explorer window immediately. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
dbaorc

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You can copy that missing DLL from your friend's computer.

It is located either in C:\WINDOWS\system32

or in c:\WINNT\system32

Use a floppy or flash drive to transfer a copy to your computer.

dbaorc

dbaorc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
my friend has windows 200o proffesional I have windows ME, is that OK?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
should be fine, it's an Internet Explorer file, not an Operating System file.

dbaorc

dbaorc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

I tried to manuall copy that file and it won't let me because it states that it's protected. Is there another way to fix this file shlwapi.dll? I have been trying microsofts site with no luck. Can I just reinstall Internet explorer?

I tried to reinstall Norton systemworks (2005), and received all kinds of errors. i don't think that SymNRT worked properly. I am ready to go to plan B, which is to download and install Macafee anti virus, because I'm a comcast customer and it's free. I also have Mafee's Firewall running so I'll still be protected with a good antivirus product, and the price is right.

Thanks for your time and attention to this matter.
dbaorc

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Here:

shlwapi.dll download

Download it, extract it, and put it on a floppy or flash drive. Put it in the System32 directory (something like c:\windows\system32 or c:\winnt\system32)

If it doesn't work after putting it into the system32 directory, put it in the System directory (something like c:\windows\system or c:\winnt\system)

If that doesn't work, you will have to reinstall Internet Explorer. I don't know if you can do that since you have trouble connecting to the internet. Another option would be to download Mozilla Firefox and use that instead of Internet Explorer.

Mozilla Firefox can be downloaded from here:
http://www.mozilla.org/

Hope everything goes well for you :tazz:
computerwiz12890