Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel and email

• Please log in to reply

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
here is the goal:

a user at work wants to open a spreadsheet (excel 2000) from email, save it to the desktop, and then send the file from excel using the Send To -> Mail recipient option. we get a pop-3 error when doing this. we have an exchange 2003 server and outlook 2000 is correctly configured on his machine. when he tried the first time, apparantly some walkthrough popped up in excel to set his email up, and obviously he did it incorrectly. can anyone tell me how to get back into those options and configure the program (excel or outlook, i assume excel) settings so that we can send this as an email? any answers would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance :tazz:

Advertisements

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Nobody knows where to find this setting to change from POP3 to SMTP (i presume this is what i need to do) ? outlook works fine, but i get an error when trying to send mail from excel

Edited by hulud, 07 September 2005 - 12:56 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
excell doesn't actually send the mail....it just sends the mail to outlook...either as an attatchement or as the mesage body. the only way that the settings could have been changed from your exchange server to a pop3 server would be for those settings to have been changed in outlook..is excell forwarding the message to outlook or outlook express?

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
i am not sure, how would i check that? is that an excel setting?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you do the "send to" thing...whta program opens up....outlook or outlook express?

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
aha its outlook express. how can i change that? since outlook express doesnt work with exchange servers, will changing the mail client that excel interacts with automatically fix my problem?

thanks again

Edited by hulud, 07 September 2005 - 01:50 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
uninstall outlook express...there's no reason for it to be there if you're using exchange...express doesn't usually play well with exchange....my guess is they were at one point trying to use that to check either their home mail or webmail...which they can configure regular outlook to do

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
okay, did that, now when i go to Send To -> Mail Recipient it is all grayed out and not selectable... how do i point outlook 2000 and excel 2000 toward each other?