Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my screen doesnt start up right

• Please log in to reply

kendo2222

kendo2222

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
hi i am using win95 , with AMD duron 1.1ghz, just bsic pc for work no programs installed. just 1 point of sales software. every day i turn on the pc it loads up the windows startup screen then goes blank, the pc lights are still on. i tried another monitor and still does the same, but on the test monitor it said something about power saving mode etc.. (i think) then switched off also, after pulling the power plug on pc a few times it all powers on as normal, i asked the guy who sold me the system and he says prob the processor fan not workin properly and to try see if its spinning but i opened the case up and couldnt see it working because the psu is blockin its view. he said sounds like cos the sysytem 3 years old its clogged up the fan the system vents outside are quite dusty which i tried to clean. the system only seems to do that after it has been off overnight. could this be the fan and what is required to replace. thanks

Advertisements

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I would try replacing the power supply.

kendo2222

kendo2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
i have a small upright tower wiv no cd rom just floppy drive, the psu has a switch at back set to 230v can i buy a basic one or do i need to buy a specific model. thanks for fast reply.

meighnot

meighnot

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Do you live in Europe or North America?

The country where you're located will help, but you don't need to get more specific than that.

kendo2222

kendo2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
i live in uk europe thanks

meighnot

meighnot

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
OK, Just wanted to verify that your voltage setting on your power supply is correct.

It's possible that you could be experiencing a problem with one of the fans, however, in that case I'd expect the computer to power off after it's been on for a while due to overheating rather than immediately at boot after the computer's been turned off for a while.

Does this problem happen every time you try to do a cold boot (where the PC's power is off and you turn it on using the power button) or does it only happen sometimes?

If it's happening every time on a cold boot, based on the behavior you described with the monitor going into power-saving mode, I'd suspect a software problem. Something in the boot process is failing. Are you getting any strange beeps during the boot up that you don't recognize as being normal for that machine?

The other possibility is that it's a power supply problem and the components aren't getting good voltage from the power supply. If that's the case, you'll probably be noticing the problem intermittently and also noticing problems at various times, such as during boot, after the computer's been running for a while, or at any time before Windows begins to load.

You can try swapping the power supply unit with a known good one, since detecting the voltage changes that cause these problems can be difficult. The voltage change can occur so quickly that even with a meter, it's impossible to see. Make sure that the power supply you test with has the same kind and type of connectors to the motherboard.

If it's still producing the same results, it's likely to be a software problem.

kendo2222

kendo2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
yes this mostly happens after a cold boot. i leave it off for about 16hrs everyday then turn it on using the power button. once its on fully with the monitor i have no problems with the pc. only when turning on, it normally turns on shows the win 95 startup screen then the screen goes blank with the pc power lights still on. i just opened it up after using it to check that the fan spin and both do and screen come on after i turn off and boot up again, it always seems to happen on cold start where i would then either unplugg or press the power button for a while to swtich off. then turn on after about 2 more attempts it works. tomoro when i do a cold boot i will open the case and monitor the fans wen the screen is blank. thanks

Syke

Syke

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
i had the same problem with my old computer i took every thing out of the case everything down to the motherboard and put it back togeather tryed it and it started fine with the moniter now working. it could also be a problem with the moniter. if you cant handel that job however i would suggest taking it somewhere and having someone do it but watch them and learn so next time you dont have to pay :tazz:

hope this helps if i dont reply for a while like 2 days pm me im on every morning and after school

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
It's probably not a monitor issue, since he has tried two different ones. kendo, please replace your power supply (they come in very cheap nowadays, especially in your case - you can get a 300W power supply for around $30).

Most likely it is a power supply issue, since you are leaving the computer on for so long and this wears down the power supply.

kendo2222

kendo2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
i have ordered a 400w psu from ebay and waiting for the unit. i done a cold boot just now with the case open as far as concern the screen came on for a few seconds at the windows boot up screen but it was very blurr as if it was not enough power and then the monitor just went blank again, i checked the cpu fan and psu fan and they were both spinning. however i must admit that my pc has been sitting under a counter at the shop for about nearly 3 years and there seems to be alot of dust gathetered about the vents and some stuck on the psu fan i cleaned the vents with a cloth but i am still expereincing this problem, i have to keep unplugging the pc and rebooting until the windows screens lights up fully and then it goes to a blinking cursor which means its gonna work. i just dont no wot to change and problem is that the windows 95 is in chinese which i cant read as my POS software is in chinese, so i cant really understand any warnings of system problems. my vendor who sold me the system says check the cpu fan as it gets clogged up and to change it but it is still spinning. many thanks

kendo2222

kendo2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
ok my pc takes many tries to boot up, its runnin widows 98 chinese version which i canot read. its used for work to run a point of sales software. the system is a AMD duron 1.1ghz on a soltek 75 M/B just basic system no cdrom. i have been using for 3 years now with no problems and no internet. problem now is that i turn on and it shows the windows 98 screen then screen goes blank, pc green light still on and keyboard lights on. but nothing esle. tried another monitor same thing. was told to change PSU and CPU fan etc... put new PSU and CPU fan heatsink. but still have to unplug power line and power on etc... about 10 times now before it boots up normally and works ok, whilst on and restarting windows it will come on ok until i leave it off longer, last week it took about 3 reboots now its getting to a longer time of unplugging. does anyone know wot could be wrong, the system just has a floppy and 120mb ram and no other hard ware. could it be some bios setting. please help. if i buy a new system and plug the current harddisk into it will i be able to continue to use windows98 and my point of sales on it straight away. thanks

optimus prime

optimus prime

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This sounds like the result of a build-up of static. My advanced calculation machine says "beep bip bip beep! that is correct!" and advises that, with the machine powered off, you remove the mains lead and then press and hold the power switch for about 15 seconds. Also remove any peripherals from the PC (printers, scanners, cameras etc) leaving only monitor, mouse and keyboard connected. Then re-insert the mains lead and try to power on again. I bet you a big fat thumbs-up it works and if it does I would shut it down again and re-connect the peripherals and check it works again. Good Luck. :tazz:

kendo2222

kendo2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
ok tried that method and still same problem. i notice that when bootin up i can access the bios and the monitor will display the data, somtimes the screen is jumpy or blurring like but it goes away but i cant understand why it wont boot to win98 and only go to bios no problem, after exiting bios it loads all the bios stuff on screen but doent go past the win98 boot up screen, is this hardware or software fault? thanks