Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU overheating!

• Please log in to reply

QzXx

QzXx

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I had overheating problems with my 2.8ghz LGA 775 Prescot with my old case. I would get temps while playing games of about 70-80C. So, i decided to get a new case with better airflow. I got the Thermaltake Armour which has 2 120mm fans, 1 intake and 1 exhaust and 2 80mm exhaust. The problem is the CPU temps didnt change and in some cases got worse.

My room temp according to my uguru clock is 29-30C.

I have tried reapplying thermal paste twice and it has made no difference and the HSF is attached properly. I am only using stock HSF though.

Could anyone see what could be wrong or recommend me a decent HSF to buy as i only have a stock.

Thankyou.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are these temp readings coming from BIOS, software that came with your board, or a third party software app? how much thermal paste did you apply? did you clean all the old paste off first?

QzXx

QzXx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
The reading are coming from the Bios.

When i applied the paste i removed as much as i could and then put a layer about as thick as a creadit card on.

I am using coolermaster thermal paste and some people have recommended Artic Silver.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
paste brands wouldn't cause that much of a temp problem....the difference betwen brands is somewhere like 2 degrees depending on it's application....is your cpu fan working?

QzXx

QzXx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

paste brands wouldn't cause that much of a temp problem....the difference betwen brands is somewhere like 2 degrees depending on it's application....is your cpu fan working?

View Post

Yes and temperatures are still high even with the fan at full speed.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may have put too much paste...or your temp sensor is broken....there should be no excuse for temps that high in a properly functioning system.

QzXx

QzXx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

you may have put too much paste...or your temp sensor is broken....there should be no excuse for temps that high in a properly functioning system.

View Post

Is it possible that my CPU could be broken?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
only if you're having issues other than the temp being high.....any problem with the cpu that would cause thermal issues would cause alot of other bad things to happen

QzXx

QzXx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Okay, well... the high temperature is the only problem i am having. I think i may get a new HSF.

El Jimben

El Jimben

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I know my PC repeatedly crashed due to excessive temperature (the guy who built it didn't put any fans in the case except HSF & the one on the mainboard!)