Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scan Disc program stuck scanning disk

• Please log in to reply

firstaid

firstaid

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everyone,
I am new and have a serious problem with my computer. I hope you guys can help me because I heard that the best computer experts are found at this site. Okay, here is my problem. In the past 3 months I would shut my computer abruptly due mostly to a faulty power cord that would shut power to my computer abruptly. The power cord has been replaced, but when I turn on the computer the scan disc program comes on and takes FOREVER, I suspect it is not working or there are so many problems with my computer. I sometimes cancel the disc scan program, and when everything on my desktop loads up and I try to open a program, it says not enough memory, try again and my whole computer freezes. I can't shut the computer down properly, so I have to turn the power switch off. Should I just let the disc scan program run for days or what? After about 8 hours, the progress it has made is only one box. Please help me y'all.

Advertisements

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Welcome, my name is Freddie! :tazz:

You may have insufficient memory on your computer. Have you tried repairing or reinstalling windows with your disc? Do you get any errors when scanning?

Freddie

firstaid

firstaid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Freddie for the quick response.

I don't get any errors when the disc scan is occuring. I don't know how to reinstall windows.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Some things to try if you haven't already. Use disk clean up and defragment the drive. Because you shut it down quickly there will be file fragments. Make sure that you choose remove file fragments when you let scandisk run. And when you run it do a thorough scan, you may have damaged the disk by shutting it down abruptly. It will take a long time, up to an hour, but you will know where things stand.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi firstaid...sounds like you need a little firstaid (Sorry...couldn't resist)

I know of a couple of things we can try to tame this beast....

Click "Start" and choose "Shut Down" then choose "Restart in MS_DOS Mode" and click "Ok".

At the command prompt (C:\Windows>), type scanreg /fix (Note the space before /fix ... the command should be C:\WINDOWS>scanreg /fix) and press "Enter". When the scan completes press "Enter" to exit the registry scan and then press "Ctrl + Alt + Delete" to restart.

Post back with your results...

wannabe1

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Firstaid,

There is a pinned topic in the Windows 98/95 forum that guides you on how to reinstall your windows. If the reinstall isn't effective, your hard drive or memory may be damaged.

Freddie

firstaid

firstaid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks wannabe1 for the advice but in my computer when I shut down it only gives me the option of restart or shut down. It does not give me a option of restarting in a specific mode. I am scanning my disk throughly now but it is taking FOREVER.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let me know how you make out, firstaid. There are other ways to get to the command prompt.

wannabe1

firstaid

firstaid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everyone,
Just an update on my progress or lack there of, I decided to run the system restore program, which might get me out of the mess I am in now. But it is taking FOREVER, I started it 2:30 pm EST and it is still going on. I have never run System Restore before so I am not sure how long it is going to take. Anyway, while the system restore is running, I get these boxes that come up and say

Mspt has caused an error in D3IF32.DLL
Mspt will now close

Netwx32 has caused an error in APIEP.DLL
Netwx32 will now close

Criv32 has caused an error in MFCRU.DLL
Criv32 will now close

I click these boxes to close them and after a few minutes they pop up again.
I really don't know what to do now :tazz:
Does that mean the system restore is not working? Y'all got to help me please!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
firstaid...

Do you have your Windows installation cd and product key? If yes, continue to the next paragraph. If no, post back to this thread.

Do you have a startup disk for your version of Windows? If you don't, go HERE and download one. Put a floppy in the floppy drive and double click the file you just downloaded...this should create a startup disk for you.

Put the floppy disk you just created in the bad machine and reboot. When you get to the options screen, choose "Start computer with cd-rom support". Reinstall Windows "over the top" of the previous installation.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

firstaid

firstaid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
okwannabe1

I have a disc that says "For the reinstallation of Windows ME" can I use that? Or are you talking about something else?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Hi first aid :tazz:

Please read all of this. I does tell you how to turn scandisk off, but your hard drive might be having a real problem (something to think about):
http://www.toejumper...tain4/scan4.htm

I was unable to find any information on these errors in google:
Mspt has caused an error in D3IF32.DLL
Mspt will now close

Netwx32 has caused an error in APIEP.DLL
Netwx32 will now close

Criv32 has caused an error in MFCRU.DLL
Criv32 will now close

Have you done any virus scans lately? Have you cleaned out all temps and defragged? what have you limited your cache size to?

If you can't defrag....you need go offline, to exit all programs, including your screensaver and antivirus.

Edited by Jacee, 10 September 2005 - 03:31 PM.

firstaid

firstaid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
wow Jacee!!!

Thats a lot of info, thanks for it anyway, I am not a techie or a computer whiz in any way so I don't want to do anything more that is going to mess up my computer. I will probably try to defragment my computer today since the restore program is taking FOREVER.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have a lot of files on your machine that you must have? At this point, a recovery is looking like a good option for you, but we don't want to do that if we need to try and recover your data.

Try what I suggested in Post #10 first........

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 10 September 2005 - 03:43 PM.