Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Im stuck

• Please log in to reply

Glyphx

Glyphx

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright, Im trying to bridge two of my computers (they are inches apart form eachother) by using a connector cable. I have one of my computers ( the one I want to use to recieve and view files with from the other one) that is connected to broadband, and I can surf the internet and everything with it. So iI havae a connector cable running between the two computers, but the one w/o the broadband connection cant get on the internet.. Whats the problem? Do I have to create a new connection on the connected computer or what?

Thanks for the help

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello Glyphx, and welcome to Geeks to Go,

I need some more specifics about your setup, to properly help you:

1) You said you were using a connector cable.... What kind or model and who manufactured it.

2) Are you using a router, switch, or hub... If using any of these make sure to include manufacturer and model in your reply

3) What Operating systems are installed on both Pcs and what service Patches do they have.

4) What Firewalls do you have.

5) why are you wanting to bridge them.. are you just trying to file and print share and have internet access on both PC's?

Glyphx

Glyphx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
1) Im not positive what kind of cord it is, but I know that the colored pins at each end are in a different order which is what I need.

2) Im not using a hub or anything, just one computer connected directly to the inter, trying to give internet to the other.

3) Windows XP

4) Norton AntiVirus, I'm prety sure this isnt the problem though.

5) I want to bridge them so they both have internet access.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
so a cat 5 crossover cable, if you are using a standard adsl (broadband) modem u will need to share the connection this can be done by going into network connections then the modem should be on there, (this will be the computer the modem is connected to) then right click and go into properties somewhere in there it should say secuirty and sharing or something like that, its differant on differant modems, once u have done that u maybe ok or maybe a few further steps try that and then let me know :tazz:

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
wouldnt the comptuer with the broadband need two nics, one to connect to broadband and one to connect to the other computer??

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
no the adsl (broadband) doesnt connect via ethernet its usb.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Sorry so long on the reply... Have been very busy!!

Your scenario>>>

connected from pc1 to a DSL or Cable modem via USB.

connected from pc2 to pc1 via cat5 ethernet crossover... you can share the internet connection from the cat 5 shared connect on pc2 to the USB on pc1, via a network bridge and static IP configuration.

The steps offered by "THE ONE" are very vague, but I cannot do much better on this topic, right off the top of my head... But when i am unable to find a solution i always turn to google and google has once again provided us with a way to fix your problem.

Here is a link to a page that gives detailed instructions (step-by-step) how to set up a ethernet / usb network bridge. Please reply if this this does, or does not work in your scenario.

"Ethernet / USB Network Bridge"
http://www.wown.com/...ig/wxpbrdge.htm

Thanks you.