Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU cause CPU overheating?

• Please log in to reply

QzXx

QzXx

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Can a PSU cause the CPU to overheat?

I have a 2.8GHZ P4 LGA775,X800XT Radeon, 1 HDD and 1 DVD RW. I only have a 350Watt powersupply and i wondered if it would actually casue my CPU to overheat if it can supply enough power when under load.

Thanks.

Edited by QzXx, 07 September 2005 - 03:40 PM.

Advertisements

meighnot

meighnot

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Doesn't sound likely.

More often the case is that with the increased voltage that's used to overclock a processor (upping the voltage makes the system crystal vibrate faster which makes each CPU clock tick take less time) you get overheating.

A CPU is basically a silicon wafer with other materials added to it to create millions and millions of microscopic transistors. When voltage is applied to the processor, current flows through the transistors and they provide some resistance to that current. This causes the processor to heat up. The more voltage you apply to it, the higher the current will be, and the more it'll heat up.

The wattage of your power supply sounds quite adequate for the system as is, but if you're planning on overclocking, plan for increased heat at the processor.

If you were overloading your power supply, you'd be getting the excess heat in the power supply itself, not the CPU. Too much heat in the power supply can raise the temperature inside the case to a level where it's not safe for the CPU, but it's not the CPU that's generating the heat.

QzXx

QzXx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Okay, thanks.

New power supply for me then :tazz:

meighnot

meighnot

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
It doesn't seem likely with the system specs that you posted that you need to upgrade your power supply.

Have you checked the internal case temperature?