Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't login to msn, hotmail, win update

• Please log in to reply

dj_gie

dj_gie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am using Windows XP SP2 and IE 6 SP2

I have had this problem for a few days.
When i try to login to msn messenger, i get a '800701f9' error.
When i try to sign in to hotmail. I get a 'HTTP 501 Not implemented' page come up saying
'The page you are trying to reach cannot be retrieved.' and 'Error 501/505 - Not implemented or not supported Internet Explorer'.

When i perform a windows update i get an error saying 'The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.' and error number '[Error number: 0x80244024]'.
I have tryed changing browsers and no luck. I have also run the latest download updates, virus update and scan, spyware update and scan and firewall update. I have also gone through the advice given on the microsoft website and still no luck.

The strange thing is, when i login as a different user msn, windows update and hotmail work!!!

Could you please advise.

Kind Regards

Advertisements

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Have you tried out this section of the Microsoft discussion forum yet?

dj_gie

dj_gie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Have you tried out this section of the Microsoft discussion forum yet?

View Post

Thnaks

I have just checked and still no luck

Anyone got any ideas to a solution

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Just gonna ask a few more questions here...

The Passport account that you tried logging on with - is it the .NET passport that you've assigned to your PC's administrator account? Perhaps you could try removing it from the account, then reassigning the e-mail address. Also try reinstalling MSN Messenger.

Is your Hotmail account a paid account and if so, can you access your account through an e-mail client, like say Thunderbird or Outlook Express?

By the way, this is going to sound real weird but sometimes clearing out your cookies/temporary Internet files/browsing history, then restarting your browser can prove to be an excellent solution for many browser issues, so try that out if you haven't yet.

Edited by cassykins, 08 September 2005 - 07:11 PM.

dj_gie

dj_gie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Just gonna ask a few more questions here...

The Passport account that you tried logging on with - is it the .NET passport that you've assigned to your PC's administrator account? Perhaps you could try removing it from the account, then reassigning the e-mail address. Also try reinstalling MSN Messenger.

Is your Hotmail account a paid account and if so, can you access your account through an e-mail client, like say Thunderbird or Outlook Express?

By the way, this is going to sound real weird but sometimes clearing out your cookies/temporary Internet files/browsing history, then restarting your browser can prove to be an excellent solution for many browser issues, so try that out if you haven't yet.

View Post

Thank you for your reply

I'm not sure what you mean by .net passport. My hotmail account is not a paid account. I have already tried clearing cookies, cache, temporary files etc. No luck

anymore ideas?

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Okay, forget the e-mail client thing then.

Try reinstalling MSN Messenger and see if logging in works now.

As for .Net Passport, go to your Control Panel, and choose the User Accounts section. Under administrator account, go to 'Change my .Net Passport'. Check to see if the passport account currently assigned to the account is the Hotmail account you are having troubles with. If it is, click the 'Change Passport Attributes' button and see if signing in to Hotmail works by that way.