Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 hesitation

• Please log in to reply

pogopam

pogopam

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Every time I click on a program I want to use, I have to wait for 15 to 20 seconds before it kicks in. It doesn’t matter if I double click or try to open them with a right click. Everything hesitates. I had my hard drive reformatted in January updating the McAfee virus scan at that time. I developed the Newgenlook trojan and had it cleaned out in April. I had my dial up modem replaced in June. I run my Mcafee scan, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Doctor, CW Shredder, Registry Mechanic, Dustbuster, & Defrag just about every day.
The other day I was downloading a program, which took about 2 hours. When I returned I notice that every thing was working at regular speed, no hesitation. I shut down for the night and when I booted in the morning it returned to the hesitation. It happened again so I figured I’d leave the PC on but Then I started getting error messages so I had to reboot. Now I’m stuck with the hesitation again.
Also I use EZ CD creator to convert from MP3 to Wav. I use the recorder. Lately I’ve been getting skips in some of my songs. Not all but a few, very aggravating.
This hesitation is driving me crazy. When I run my virus scan I find nothing. Also in the add/remove programs I found these: Windows 98 KB891711 Update Windows 98 Q823559 Update, Windows 98 Q841305 Update, Windows 98 Q888113 Update, & Windows 98 Q890175 Update. I don’t ever remember seeing these.
I am computer illeterate so I don’t know what’s happening. Can you help??
Thank you, Tom Pokladowski

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The Q and K stuff in your programs are just Windows Updates you've downloaded.

Your CPU may be running hot, have you checked it for dust in the cooler?