Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Problems

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, got a bit enthusiastic today and bought a new case for clocking my computer (well, for cooling it technically). Its a ThermalTake A7000. It has 5 fans. I got it because my processor was sitting at 52c without clocking or anything, and that was too high for my liking. I am also investing in a new fan for processor itself.

My system is :
AMD AthlonXP 3200+ Barton core B
1GB corsair Ram
MSI nvidia NX6600GT with Vivo
160Gb maxtor driver
DVD Rom drive
52x CDrw drive
ASrock K7VT4A Pro

I have Winpower 400W power supply. Do i have enough juice to run everything at once?

Thanks
Dave

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi Dave,

I did a google on your psu and could not find much info on it especially specs that list the amps on all the rails this always tells me that its not a very good one.

So if it were me I would get a name brand such as antec, thermaltake,enermax at least 450w and with at least 18A on the 12v rail.

Amd barton core and some semperon cpu's run well with 18A on the 12v but the newer Amd 64 systems need at least 24A.

I only mention the AMD 64 systems because they are popular and for others reading along I want them to understand why I sometimes recomend 18A and other times 24A because it really depends on the system.

Rick

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
well, it appears to be going fine, except (i noticed) my power supply was always putting out 3.2 in the 3.3V part, and some of the other voltages were short, is this a danger? or shud i just change it asap?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The 3.3v, 5v and 12V rails can be plus or minus 5% and still be within spec, so for example the 3.3 could read 3.165 and still be ok.

Rick

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
thanks Rick:)

For anyone who wanted to know, the cpu temp dropped by 10c, i donno if this was a worthwhile drop, i guess this is good because its not being directly cooled, and the rest of the components are getting cooled as well. Just need a new CPU cooling device.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome and btw a 10c drop in cpu temp is always worth while :tazz: