Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard not working after MS Security Update

• Please log in to reply

caledonia93514

caledonia93514

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I hope someone can help with this problem. A friend recently purchased a Dell Dimension 3000. We set the machine to automatically download and install the MS updates (security stuff). Approximately two months ago, the monitor stopped working after one of these updates changed the driver. We had to roll back that driver and reinstall the old one, etc. So after about 2 hours of research and 3 hours of labor later, it finally worked again. NOW, the same thing, at least we think it could be the same thing, is happening with her keyboard. We tried a different keyboard, and no luck. It's like there isn't one connected. Can someone help? I have been looking all over the internet for a resolution to this problem which occurred on 8/11/05! Thanks in advance. :tazz:

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
I think you are correct in thinking that your problem was caused by [MS WINDOWS UPDATE] -

There are several POSTs back in June that Non Microsoft Keyboards stopped working after a recent MS UPDATE WIN 2K/XP -

Driver was changed also - Try booting in [SAFE MODE] - System should set the basic drivers required - then try to change DRIVER -

You may need INSTALLATION DISK to find DRIVER -

I copied all my Drivers that are currently working to 2nd Internal HDD - for safe keeping + on a CD

You may have to do a restore - (but I think you already did that?)

I do not fully understand what all is being changed - but it seems to affet only NON MICROSOFT KEYBOARDS?

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 09 September 2005 - 02:36 PM.

caledonia93514

caledonia93514

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Thanks, Jack123. I will try out the fixes this weekend. This is sure a pain in the fanny to have to do this continually. It doesn't happen to my Dell system, which is older than my friend's. I have turned off Automatic Updates. I will now review them before installing to her system!

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Bill Gates - You gotta Love Him??!!