Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 pc in one network

• Please log in to reply

zottekoe

zottekoe

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello,

I'd like to know how I can set my 3 pc's in one network, so that I just have to (for example) put a document in the shared network and I can open that on one of the other pc's. I'd also like to know if it's possible that I give the order to print on one pc, and that the printer of the other pc automatically prints it.

Greetz

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Make sure all the PC's are in the same workgroup and the same IP range, set one of the PC's to act as a "server" for the others, install the printer, add users to that PC so they can access it, create a folder, share it out as well, and then you can either browse to it or map a drive to it and then also add the network printer to the other PC's.

Thats a quick nutshell, it's real easy to do...

zottekoe

zottekoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
But how do you do that :-s?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
sigh.... OK, are you using XP Home or Professional?? If you are using Home then forget it, you can't network.

If you are using Pro you need to edit your network settings. If you don't know how to do this, do a Google search. The rest is standard stuff (adding a printer, creating a folder and sharing it, etc). Again, if you don't know how to do this stuff networking your computers should be the last thing you should be messing with.

Again, Google is your friend. With a bit of patience and persistence you will find out how to do it. Typing each step here would take a while and I doubt you will find many willing to do that, if there is someone, well, have fun.

zottekoe

zottekoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
oh crap, i've got home :tazz:

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I did find this doiing a Google search... take it for it is worth...

How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition

Edited by thenotch, 09 September 2005 - 12:40 PM.

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
you can still do file sharing with xp home....

zottekoe

zottekoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
i will try this! thanx!

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
:tazz: Hello zottekoe, and welcome to Geeks To Go, [COLOR=blue] :)

You " CAN "[COLOR=red] file and print share with Windows XP Pro, Home, ME, 2000, 98SE, 98FE, 98PLUS, and 95.

If " thenotch " link did not work correctly, or you are still having problems please refer to the rest of my Post.

--------------------------------------
I need a little additional information to ascertain whether or not I will be able to assist you, in correctly setting up your File and Print Share Home Network.

Please Answer the following questions:

1) What operating System's do you have on all PC's being connected to the File and Print Share network, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example..XP SP1 or 2)?

2) What are the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless / Wired Adapter's currently Installed on all PC's being Included in this Network?

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router, Switch, or Hub you are using?

4) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)

5) What antivirus programs do you have running?

6) What firewalls do you have running?

7) What pop-up blockers, Ad Blockers, and Malware detectors do you have running?

8) What is the model and manufacturer of all the printers you are wanting to Share?

9) Do you have the original installation disk for each and every printer you are wanting to share?

10) Do you have the ability to write to a blank CD (IE.. a CD burner in your machine and few blank cd's [not a prerequisite just makes the setup a little easier])

11) What steps have you already taken to try and implement the File and Print Share Ability for your network

PLEASE ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-11 THOROUGHLY, TO HELP ME BETTER PROVIDE
YOU WITH A WALKTHROUGH ON HOW TO SETUP YOUR FILE AND PRINT SHARE
NETWORK .