Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BROSWEUI.DLL - no desktop icons or taskbar

• Please log in to reply

fantana

fantana

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm just going to copy and paste a few things that I posted on another forum. I cant find anything much on Google regarding this problem. Microsoft have kinda screwed this up:

----------------------------------------------------

My mates computer was riddled with spyware and he had a trojan horse. I spent about 3 hours removing it all and applying the fixes etc for the trojan and was about 5 minutes from getting it sorted.

I went to the microsoft webiste to get his automatic updates and it says I needed IE6 (was using Firefox). So it takes a few minutes to download and install and then it restarts the machine for me.

Once it gets past the log-in screen (the little bit of music plays and everything) there is just an error message and then that is it. Blank screen. Mouse moves OK and when I press CTRL-ALT-DEL it says that just 2 programs are running.

If anyone thinks they can help me then I could go in to a little more detail and post the error messages and stuff.

------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Kris:
press ctrl-alt-del to bring up the process manager, then clif File->New task and type "explorer". click run.

Theres no option of clicking anything called FILE. Just END TASK, SHUT DOWN etc.

The problem is to do with BROWSEUI.DLL
The 2 programs running are JAVAQU32 and AVGSERV9

Starting in safe mode yealds exactly the same reults.

-----------------------------------------------------

Kris,
I tried all 3 of the methods you linked me too, mate.

[edit]:http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/2-1330790523.shtml is what he linked me too.

The one that involved copying over a file using DOS commands (step 3 I think) looked like working at first, but it errored due to 'no such file' and came up with '0 files copied' or something.

I started in Safe Mode and the Help program came up. I managed to get to Add/Remove Programs and tried to uninstall IE6 (which is definatly what is giving me the problem) but it too managed to error. A message told me that it may not have worked, and it didnt.

BROWSEUI, possibly BROWSEUI.DLL is where the jip is. Any ideas?

I can get a camera phone out of this if it gets fixed!

----------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by ACou2000:
Do everyone a favour and upgrade him to XP.

He has the disk, in proper packaging and everything, but I dont trust myself with the whole 'hard-drive partitioning' and the installation etc. Is it hard? Im not thick but I cant afford to replace anything.

You are right Marco Vicente. I tried to do an automatic update, but the Microsoft site said I needed IE6, so I donwload, install, and the [bleep] thing hasnt worked since. Maybe someone should point that out to them. They basically told me to break his machine.

I hope nobodys take offence at me registering on this board just to post this, but I really am running out of options. It has been 6 days now since the incident.
If anyone has any suggestions then I'd be very appreciative.
Thanks for your time.
BRIAN FANTANA! :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open task manager then double click across the top, you should then see file from top left

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi fantana ,

Welcome to Geek To Go, my name is Tony.

Just wondering have you done what Kieth has suggested?

If so or if not, please post back and let us know.

fantana

fantana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
'double-click across the top'? the top of what, the task manager window?

No, I havent tried that as I cant get to my buddys house that easy. Not sure when Im going back over as I recently tore a ligament in my ankle (ouch) but it may be some time this weekend.

I'll try clicking on said box, you think something that simple will solve this?

Incase it doesnt (and I end up stuck at his house again with no options) is there anything else I can try that may resolve this?

Thanks for your replies, guys.

Ian :tazz:

fantana

fantana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ah, I see you moved this thread.

I have XP.
This is happening on Windows ME.
Somehow, I missed that from the inital post as it was in the thread title of the topic on another forum :tazz:

Sorry 'bout that. Windows ME.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You'll probably have to download, with any computer, a copy of the windows ME version of browseui.dll to a floppy (I don't know whether it even fits) and copy it to the system folder. Since it is the Browser User Interface library it sounds like it's what you need. If you have the Install files you could probably extract it, but working with ms-dos in ME is a bit tricky. If you could run the System Configuration Manager you could use it to extract from the disk or install files. it too. Since ME usually saves the installation files in Windows\options\install it's probably on your machne and just has to be extracted to the right folder.

Why not try this:

Hold down F8 during boot up and choose command prompt, when the prompt comes up type in

extract C:\windows\options\install\browseui.dll C:\windows\system

or

extract C:\install\browseui.dll C:\windows\system

and hit Enter. This is one of those times when I'd really like to get my hands on the machine cause I think I'd have it working in ten or fifteen minutes.

Edited by Tyger, 09 September 2005 - 06:36 PM.

fantana

fantana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Cheers mate
I started going cross-eyed about half-way through your paragraph (heh) but I understand what you are saying. I, and my mate included, wish you could just sort it right out. I knew straight away that it was something silly that was making is spazz out, I'm just not quite good enough once outside of the actual windows interface.

I'll write down those two commands and give it a whirl some time soon.
If anyone else has any other suggestions that they can post within the next, hmmm, 15 hours or so then that would also be appreciated, as last time I went over I boatsed about having the fix and it just didnt work at all. :tazz:

The file will most likely be on the computer you reckon? Like I said, it was a download from microsoft.com that beffudled everything, so nothing has been removed.

If I didnt think it would cost loads I'd be on the phone to those fools and demand that someone came out to fix it.