Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

by far the worst computer ever

• Please log in to reply

charZar

charZar

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
unless you've got time on your hands, just pass on this one...

ok, my friend's computer is beyond retarded.. last year i believe it had a complete meltdown and had to be re-vamped in some fashion (i didn't do it so, i don't know what was done).. she doesn't keep up on spyware and virus protection so, being connected to our university's network, or any internet for that matter, is not smart with her computer.. ..here is my predicament

when i first got her computer in my hands, i could not do anything-nothing at all.. it would take ten minutes for the options after rightclicking on an icon to show up.. i restarted in safemode and ran adaware and came up with 302 critical files!.. i also found some obvious spyware running in her processes and in her start-up... then i defragmented her c:drive (it was pretty ugly) about three times before it looked fairly normal (i don't think she ever did that before).. the issue through all this was her inability to get onto our network (uconn) because it recognized her lack of service pack 2 and updated virus protection.. i also gave her my symantic corporate edition 8.0 because her, i'm assuming, free download was expired..

so after all that her computer was much MORE functionable but, here are the issues that i have now..

--ctrl alt del still does not work in regular mode (does work in safe mode)
--i did get the internet log-in to work, but upon rebooting, it refuses to let me do anything
--every time i try to open ANYTHING it.. doesn't.. freezes-i can't count the number of times i've shut the computer down by holding the button down..
--i can't update adaware and spysweeper and symantic liveupdate without the network working, and now that it 'works' i can't open the programs to update them

i'm real close to backing up what she wants, reformatting the whole thing, and doing the internet stuff somewhere outside of our network..... ugh! :tazz:

if anyone has advice, i'd truly appreciate it

thanks

-char

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What is the make and model of this wunderbox? There's a few models out there that really are dogs (no offence to my canine friends meant) and this might be one of them.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
hah, she has the same computer as me, dell inspiron 1150.. and it is a dog.. really annoying dog at that matter.. but i've managed

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi charZar...Welcome to G2G!

With all the the issues you describe and this "wunderbox's" (as tyger so eloquently stated) sorted past, I would pull all the "must have" data off and start fresh. You'll end up with a far better machine (as far as that goes) and a grateful friend.

Just my humble opinion, though.

wannabe1

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Certainly back up the "must have data" as wannabe1 recommends, but before I'd start over, HJT might be the way to go.

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

I realize internet access is limited on that machine, but maybe you can do some of this.

Good luck

EMCguy

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
ok, now it doesn't work at all.. from what i've researched, it's because of downloading service pack two.. when starting the computer regular, in safe mode, and in two of the other options, it says in a blue screen could not run autochk whatnot... and then STOP: c00021a {Fatal System Error} The windows logon process syttem process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000135 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been sht down.

AGH

how do i get rid of sp2 when i can't even get anywhere?
and hwo do i go about reformatting this 'wunderbox' if i can't even boot it??

thanks guys, sorry if i seem stupid or something

also, her comp will be on for five minutes and it's REALLY hot.. could her fan be mal-functioning.. our model is known to get hot i think, which is why i have a cooler.. i think i'll just make her get one cause, i dont think there's any way for me to fix the fan right? :tazz: thanks again

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until you get the set up screen, you can change the boot priority to CD ROM drive, press F10 to save and exit then put the XP CD in the drive, then press enter and it will reboot, look for press any key to load from the CD then choose the repair option

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
all the repetitive delete-button pushing does is make a beeping noise-no set-up screen shows up..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi charZar....

Try the F1 key...some machines use that.

If all else fails, watch the bottom of the boot screen...there will usually be a line there that will read "Press [key] to enter Setup"...that's the one you want to be tapping.

wannbe1

Edited by wannabe1, 10 September 2005 - 09:25 PM.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
alright, f2 is the button for me :tazz:.. anyways, i found the 'reboot cd-rom' option, and put the cd in and pressed enter but, it did nothing.. then hitting esc brought me to regular start-up, didn't reboot so, didn't work obviously.. not quite sure how to make it understand i want it to reboot in cd-rom mode...

Advertisements

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
correction.. spacebar enables the changes.. changes (reboot in cd-rom mode) were made.. ::waiting to see what happened upon reboot:: nothing happened.. hmph.. this is fun huh?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
charZar...

Ain't BIOS fun???

You'll need to change the First Boot Device to CD-ROM and press F10 to Save the settings when you Exit BIOS...Now put the XP cd in the drive then reboot by pressing Enter or Ctrl + Alt + Delete.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 10 September 2005 - 09:43 PM.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
sorry bout all that.. we accidentally disabled the cd-rom.. now we're after 'press any key to reboot in cd-rom' and it's loading random files... ::waiting:: ok, do we want to set up windows xp, repair (i think that's the one--i read that's where you delete sp2), or quit setup... ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We want to Set Up XP now...press enter

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Press F8 to accept the agreement...