Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Small Business Server Set-Up Question

• Please log in to reply

jnord

jnord

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am wondering what the gurus think of running the email/web server separately from a data server in a small business network (15 users). I have them separate and behind their own routers right now and was wondering about any security issues that could arise by combining all three into the same box.

Edited by jnord, 09 September 2005 - 01:52 PM.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Is your data server a LAN or WAN data server?? If it is LAN only I would be a little leery about introcing a WAN enviroment into it and possibly a virus or malware via your email server as well as the potential for hackers to gain access to your data.

Granted, it can be secured, but anything that is put outside of your LAN is ALWAYS going to have the potential to be vulnerable.

On the other hand, if your data is not crucial or anything that cannot be replaced having all three on one server can work.