Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer booting problems

• Please log in to reply

BlackHamma

BlackHamma

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am using

MSI K8n Neo4 Platinum Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor
GeForce 6600 GTOC 128mb gddr3 PCI Express
Thermaltake 560 PSU
Thermaltake Venus Series CPU Fan
Corsair 2 GByte TwinX Matched Memory Pair

The thing is that I'm building 5 of these machines. I have already built 3 of them and they work just fine. But the 4th one doesn't seem to want to boot. the screen won't even get to the part where it does the memory check and beeps. Sometimes it does (1 in every 20) boot, but when I go to the bios and change some stuff and reboot, it doesn't reboot. it just kinda sit on a blank black screen. but even when it does, sometimes the text in the bios part is glitchy or is even discolored. I thought it could have been a heat problem, so I put some Arctic Silver 5 on the chip and on the heat sink and put it back on but it still doesn't work. I switched memory (different slots and different memory). Still nothing.
I switched graphics cards also just in case. Nothing.

Could the problem be with the PCI express slot on the motherboard ?

Edited by BlackHamma, 09 September 2005 - 03:11 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It sounds like the motherboard cmos chip is duffed, i would just send it back and get started on the next machine hopefully by the time they have sent you back a working board you will have finished the other pc. The best way to eliminate specific peices of hardware as the problem is to swap out parts individually as you are building 5 you must have a supply of working parts to let you swap them out. Its sounds like the mobo, its the thing with electronics they have as many ones that dont work come off the productionline and you sometimes just get a duffer.

kendo2222

kendo2222

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
hi i to have problem like this, i have a 3 year old pc running AMD duron 1.1 ghz no cd rom just floppy, just a basic pc for work. it is running win98 in chinese tho so i cannot read the window errors. problem started about few weeks ago, i turn on the pc once a day and use the Point of sales software for about 8 hrs then off overnight for 16 hrs. now on cold boot the pc seems to turn on the power lights on the tower goes green seems no HD light, the monitor lights come on for a second and the win 98 startup screen shows then the screen goes blank, but pc green light still on green but no activity, i have to unplugg the power cord and keep rebooting and unplugging for about 4 /5 trys before it works normally, i tried another monitor and same problem . i was told it could be cpu fan but i checked and both psu and cpu fans spin and no output to screen, the pc was running on off for 3 yrs and the apperars to be dust at vent so i have tried to clean, but when its on its ok all day just on cold boot. after using a while i can turn off and on ok . any ideas wot i need to check and change.

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
kendo,

1) Please do not hijack threads
2) You have already posted in the Hardware forum. Kindly wait for support there.

kendo2222

kendo2222

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
hi sorry about that i am new to these forums.