Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB cardbus problem

• Please log in to reply

girlapaloo

girlapaloo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have a dell lattitude cpx

my usb port is broken (a child tried to jam something in there) so i thought i could just buy a usb card. i didn't even stop to think that it wouldn't fit due to my phone modem card! why on earth were the card ports so close togther on top of one another?! the usb unit simply won't allow my modem to pop out so i can insert the phone line, whether i plug it in the top or bottom slot.

is there ANY workaround, like maybe plugging it in upside down...
i know it's a long shot.
i just need some advice from people who know their stuff.

Advertisements

girlapaloo

girlapaloo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
no one has any advice?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Broken USB PORT
Date: 12th SEPT-2005

I am not familiar with Laptops – but I may have a suggestion - but need to ask a few questions to make I sure I understand what you have –
1- You have a Modem Card – is it Dial UP ? or what type is it?
2- The broken USB PORT – where is it located on Laptop Front – Back – Side – where is it in reference to MODEM JACK –
3- You said you bought a USB CARD – apparently they are they are [Vertically] – [BOTTOM/TOP] – of each other -
4- Can you interchange them (Reverse Order) – in order to have room for connections?
5- A work around plan – There are EXTERNAL USB MODEMS – (that connects to USB PORT)
6- How many USB PORTS are on USB CARD? – There are Externally Powered USB HUBS with from 2 to 7 USB PORTS – if you need more ports –

Just how broken is the port? – How old is Laptop? – Did you get an estimate to repair? – I would obtain a [Cost & Time estimate] – Need to weigh cost of estimate VS [Work around ideas] & [Upgrading]

You could also look for different PCMCIA Card Manufacturers for USB and Modem to see if any has connectors offset from each other –

Just my thoughts -
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 12 September 2005 - 11:17 AM.