Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Windows Update

• Please log in to reply

davepig

davepig

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I am unable to access the Microsoft Windows Update site on IE, it just times out. My ISP is AOL and although the site boots on AOL, the search always fails. All other sites are accessible on IE. I use WinXP home, have a decent spec pc, AOL9.0 broadband. Am confident it is not a virus/malware issue as all checks come back clear. My firewall is the freebie McAfee which i do not think is causing the problem. I use the Netgear DG834G router which is set for a wireless connection, though it is wired at the moment. It has it's own firewall but i cannot see anything on that which would cause the problem. Windows XP firewall is off. Furthermore, Microsoft anti-spyware no longer autoupdates itself nor allows me to do it. Any ideas?

Edited by davepig, 09 September 2005 - 06:49 PM.

Advertisements

davepig

davepig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok, problem solved witht the help of those lovely people at AOL live help. For anyone else suffering with the same problem, the solution is:

If you are using either a Netgear DG834 or Netgear DG834G Broadband Router, please start with the instructions in STEP 1.

If you are using a BT Voyager 50/100 or 105 USB ADSL Modem, please start with the instructions in STEP 2.

STEP 1: Ensure your Router's MTU size is set correctly
Click on Start > Run
In the run box type http://192.168.0.1 and press OK
This will open Internet Explorer and you will be prompted to enter a sername & Password in-order to access your Netgear Router.
Your username will be admin and your password will be password unless you changed your password when you first setup your Netgear Router.
Once you have entered your username/password press OK and you will now see the Netgear router configuration page.

On the left hand side menu bar, scroll down to the section named "Advanced" and directly below Advanced you will see WAN Setup, click on WAN Setup and a new webpage will load in the middle of the screen.
In this new webpage, just above Apply & Cancel, you will see a option that says "MTU Size (In Bytes)". Beside this you will see a box. Change the number in the box to 1400 and then click "Apply".

When you've done that, click on Logout at the bottom of the left hand side menu bar. You will then be prompted to Close the Internet Explorer window.

When you've followed above instructions, start AOL and access one of the sites with which you've had problems.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for posting this information

Welcome to Geeks To Go